A Stranger in Mayfair

by Charles Finch

Investigating the murder of a footman whose death is complicated by a false identity and unsettling facts about the victim's employers, Detective Lenox pursues a series of leads only to discover that an old friend may be involved.

I am loving this series more and more with each book of it I read. It is smart; at times - humorous, and always a wonderfully researched, written and constructed mystery with lots of red herrings.

As for characters, the main ones are well developed throughout the series and little nicks in their armor become exposed over the course of time. The characters are as real humans which elicits empathy from, at least, this reader. In this story, the lisping bishop (a minor character) was amusing and it may be a bit sacrilegious for some. For this anglo-catholic, a little poke at the Church of England wass a delight. If you cannot laugh at yourself, then who can?

New readers may ask, "Should I start at the beginning of this series or wade in mid-stream?" Frankly, if you are just now considering diving into this series, I would recommend starting with the three prequels. They really set the stage for the series and provided good solid background for the various characters. ( )
  KateBaxter | Mar 7, 2020 |
Back from his honeymoon, Charles Lenox is asked to look into the murder of footman Frederick Clarke. He undertakes the case along with his protege John Dallington. The McConnell's baby is finally born, causing both Charles and his wife to consider possibly adding to their own family. There was a lot more politics in this book as Charles takes his position in Parliament. I wouldn't have minded if there was a purpose, but none of the political threads were followed to any conclusion. Still, I enjoyed it and will look forward to the next in the series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
This volume in the series didn't interest me as much as the others have. ( )
  rlsalvati | Jul 5, 2016 |
I like this series a lot, though I don't feel this was his strongest effort. Funny thing is, Finch includes so much inner-monologue and sub-plot that I could see him doing a novel about these characters that wasn't a mystery!

His mystery plotting is pretty by the book cosy kind of writing, nothing outlandish... very much a throwback in every way. Can't wait for next year. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 1, 2016 |
Synopsis: Charles and Jane are just back from a wonderful honeymoon and now Charles must face going to 'work' in the House of Commons. As this new job begins, one of the House members approaches Charles about the murder of his footman. Charles is torn between the murder and preparing for the House. Toto has her child and Jane is concerned about having children of her own.
Review: Well written but with the murderer obvious about two-thirds of the way through the book if you weren't a 19th century male. The motive became apparent a bit later in the book. In any case, the reader is left wondering if the series will continue for many more books or if the main character will be placed in politics instead. ( )
  DrLed | Aug 28, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

To Emily, with love
"Clara, who is that gentleman?"

Charles Lenox, the gentleman detective, is now a member of Parliament. He just wants to focus on his new duties, including the preparation of his maiden speech. He is also settling into married life with Lady Jane Grey. Matters become more complicated when an old friend and fellow MP, Ludovic Starling, asks him to launch a discreet investigation into the death of one of his servants. With his assistants, John Dallington and Thomas McConnell, helping out, Lenox tries his best to balance his new political duties with the investigation. As he prowls through the pubs, boxing clubs, and servants’ quarters of Victorian London, he discovers some very dark secrets and finds himself in danger from a killer who is willing to strike again to keep him quiet.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,283,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible