City in Shadow (Hidden Manhattan Mysteries)

by Evan Marshall

1121,332,243 (3.33)None
Sanitation supervisor Anna Winthrop tries to find a woman who left her a note asking for help and journalist Nettie Clouchet investigates a human-trafficking ring.

While I can't say I'm in love with it, this is certainly a book that I learned to like along the way and just in time for the big finale. Why wasn't it love at first read? For me...it started off rather slow with seemingly meaningless character introductions and too many details....BUT....once the pieces started fall ing together there was no stopping it from snowballing into an interesting all the same. Seriously, you have wealthy female siblings living their lives the same as every other average joe (one is even a sanitation worker), an upstairs neighbor who moonlights as a ghost blogger but has other writing aspirations not considered commong knowledge to the public, two Ukrainian guys supposedly shopping for a desk for their den but really covering up a far more nefarious operation....see what I mean? LOADS of story line, but a common thread amongst them seems hard to find.....no worries, it IS in fact found and as I said, you'll follow it til the end.

Recommended reading for mystery or crime fiction adults fans due to the nature of the events that transpire. It's quite a ride from start to finish with twists and turns you may next expect. Happy reading.... ( )
  GRgenius | Jan 4, 2011 |
I love New York! I know that sounds like the oft-run ad from awhile ago, but I can’t help it - it’s the truth. And books that are set in and around that city naturally catch my attention. So it was with City in Shadow by Evan Marshall, a novel that is part of the Hidden Mysteries series. This is the first book that I’ve read by this author and I don’t believe it's necessary to read the other books in the series first to be able to enjoy this one.

The story begins with Anna Winthrop, a sanitation department worker, witnessing what she thinks may be a woman being held against her will. Anna follows the trail of this woman to a mysterious building on 42nd Street. Meanwhile, Anna’s upstairs neighbour, Nettie, also sees the young woman and starts her own investigation. Both women encounter plenty of obstacles, sinister characters and danger in their quest to find out the truth.

This novel had several elements to it that stood out. First, it was written a bit like a noir thriller/hard-boiled detective novel. That genre pairs well with the New York setting (as does the plot) but the book also had a cozy mystery feel to it. The characters’ backgrounds were divulged, neighbours got to know neighbours (even if they were bad neighbours) and the way the characters zipped around the city and bumped into people just gave me a ‘small town’ sort of feeling. It was an interesting mix and I liked it.

I found the writing somewhat choppy at times and it could’ve used a bit more editing. I didn't always need to know how beautiful or handsome someone was and I felt those descriptions were somewhat clichéd.

Despite those flaws, I think this would be a great series for those who haven’t read a mystery before. It would also be very appealing for young adults new to the genre. And of course anyone who loves books set in New York! ( )
  Myckyee | Dec 14, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

Evan Marshall is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,760,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible