Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Darkest Hour

by Maya Banks

Series: KGI Novels (1)

"It's been one year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly last saw his wife, Rachel, alive. Overwhelmed by grief and guilt over his failures as a husband, Ethan shuts himself off from everything and everyone. His brothers have tried to bring Ethan into the KGI fold, tried to break through the barriers he's built around himself, but Ethan refuses to respond...until he receives an anonymous note claiming Rachel is alive. To save her, Ethan will have to dodge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise. And even if he succeeds, he'll have to force Rachel to recover memories she doesn't want to relive--the minute-by-minute terror of her darkest hour--for their love, and their lives, may depend on it."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

This book is amazing.
Amnesia and a reconciliation marriage.
No intimate scenes other than the Hero and heroine.
No cheating.
No other woman or man drama.
Secondary characters introduced.

HEA though there is a second book later in the series that deals with their HEA also each couple appear in other couples future books. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
I really did like this one. I suppose I'm a bit of a sucker for books based around the fact that people are by no means perfect and that their own insecurities will lead them to say the wrong thing / act the wrong way and things build upon each other until they're at a place they don't want to be. Regret can be a killer to live with.

Here Ethan is lucky enough to get a second chance. Things had deteriorated badly in his marriage before he lost his wife. He discovers that she's still alive but has lost most of her memory. There is a lot of drama involved while she gradually remembers the truth about how things were but they manage to work through it realistically. I love that it's not instantly 'hearts and roses'. They both acknowledge that work needs to be done and they'll do it.

Yeah... I do like this series. ( )
  Damiella | Aug 18, 2020 |
If you're thinking of reading this book because the man with a gun on the cover has you looking forward to a strong hero within a romantic suspense plot, think again. The Darkest Hour is a contemporary romance with two action scenes. The suspense element of the plot is completely ignored until the end, which is such a shame because the ingredients were there: brothers with lethal skills and access to resources, making up KGI; a woman thought dead for a year, but isn't, and who has trauma-induced amnesia; bad guys in a third-world country.

But no. Although the book has a great start with Rachel's rescue, the next 60 % of the book is dedicated to Ethan's tortured soul with regards to his feelings for Rachel, and Rachel's anxiety. Where's the tension, the slow reveals, the prepare-for-something-bad-to-happen, the making-things-happen? AKA suspense.

Ethan insists on inserting the word 'baby' into every sentence directed at his wife--this alone seriously ruined the book for me--and is filled with hope/fear/desperation that all will again be well with his once-crumbling marriage. I love a man who's in touch with his feelings, but honestly, Ethan crossed the line into love-sick and became annoying. I didn't feel I got to know HIM, as everything about his thoughts and actions were to do with Rachel. He didn't even have a job to serve as a distraction or distinction. And other than male posturing, he didn't seem to be a very capable alpha male in that, aside from the rescue at the beginning, he doesn't do much protecting or defending.

And Rachel. Good grief. A scared, traumatised, perfect woman, she's not a fully fleshed-out character. She had no personality.

And then there was Garett, the brother Rachel was so close to that Ethan at one point thought they were having an affair. From other reviews I see I'm not the only one that liked him as a love interest! No wonder Ethan was jealous. Garett and Rachel have a stronger connection than any sister/brother-in-law or sister/brother I've ever seen.

Around the 75% mark, FINALLY the plot comes back into play -- ya know, the WHY THE HECK WAS THIS WOMAN KIDNAPPED, HER DEATH FAKED, THEN HELD CAPTIVE FOR A YEAR? AND WHAT ARE THESE BAD ASSES GONNA DO ABOUT IT? Which really amounts to nothing. Yes, the brothers arrange for a little recon into the matter, but it's very brief and in the background. Then suddenly someone is trying to kill her, things get good for a while, but then everything with the bad guys is resolved off screen as we're informed via summary that they've been captured by police and spilled the beans about everything.

AND YET! I loved every character except for Ethan and Rachel. The other Kelly brothers have great potential, loved the parents, and I'm interested to know where Rusty's story will lead (a wayward teenage girl taken in by the Kelly parents at beginning of the book), although I do think her inclusion in this book was unnecessary, and it was a mistake to include anything from her POV. The teaser at the end for book 2 was intriguing. But do I really want to risk that this author has not improved her pacing and plot focus for another round of disappointment? I doubt it. Or at least, I wouldn't pay for that risk. ( )
  RachelDavenSkinner | Mar 19, 2019 |
3.7 stars

Y'all, the first 50% of this book was insanely good (It looks like the vast majority of you have read this already since I'm Way Late Lana to the party but remember how good it was?!) and I didn't even want to pull myself away to notch an update on here. I loved how this was romantic suspense but flipped a bit with the woman, in this case our former military dude's wife, being the one taken captive and held for a year; she was the one dealing with the trauma of that situation.
I also loved the big cast of characters and our hero's million brothers (ok, I'm exaggerating. I think there is six total?) and the other men of the KGI group. Usually, having this many names thrown at me feels overwhelming but it worked here as the author did an amazing job writing them as individuals but knitting them together in a cohesive group.

The second half kind of stuttered a bit for me with the hero constantly focused and worried if the heroine would remember the last fight they had; there was a lot of back and forth that stagnated the story. I also thought he disappeared into a one trick pony of repeatedly saying "baby" and hovering over her. I also have to say that the chemistry between the hero and heroine was lacking, I just happened to like the surrounding cast of characters a lot, so it made up for it. Having the villain identity and reasoning not being revealed until the last 15% made it feel very rushed and meh, do I understand who, what, where, and why? Yes. Just not sure it flowed right out of the story.

I'll definitely be continuing with the series, as I loved all the characters introduced and the first half had a gritty, thrilling, and emotional beat that sucked me right in. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
did not finish at about 53%.
I just wasn't feeling it right now and didn't feel like pushing on. I read to relax, not to work.
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |

Maya Banksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berkeley, HarryReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Betzenbichler, RichardÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrugalla, KatrinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stephanie Tyler, Jaci Burton, Karin Tabke,
Sylvia Day and Lorelei James.

Good friends are the sweetest pleasures in life.
Thank you for being mine.
He'd hoped if he drank enough the night before he'd sleep through today.

It's been a year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly saw his wife Rachel alive. Now he's received an anonymous phone call claiming Rachel is alive. To find her, Ethan will have to doge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,340,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible