Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru, and…

Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru, and Beyond (edition 2004)

by Rodrick Owen (Author)

Step-by-step instructions clearly explain the techniques for creating beautiful braids. More than 50 projects incorporating 250 patterns are included.
Member:Nrsima
Title:Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru, and Beyond
Authors:Rodrick Owen (Author)
Info:Unicorn Books (2004), Edition: U.S. ed, 160 pages

Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru & Beyond by Rodrick Owen

Drawings, beautifully photographed examples and the authors unique system of diagrams give you all the information you need to explore the endless variations of color and texture. Using anything from small slotted boards to a traditional Japanese braiding stool, readers can learn to make 4-, 8-, and even 16-strand braids. Tips on finishing and embellishing the braids are also included.
  HGBV | Apr 26, 2016 |
Very interesting. The first part is about braids and braiding - how braids are used in some of the various cultures referenced here. Then a section on materials and equipment, and how to set up a braiding system (maru dai, card, or slotted card). The last section - more than half of the book - is various braiding patterns - the initial layout, and the exchanges that need to be made to produce the various patterns. The patterns, most of them, are shown in photographs of braided cords. I've braided a lot on cards, and a little on a maru dai - the basic braiding patterns are clear, though I'll have to work on some of the more complicated ones. I got this from the library and I won't have it long enough to do all the patterns I want, but I can do some of them - I want to own the book, as well. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 6, 2014 |
I found all the getting started instructions extremely helpful, but, since I have a card that gets turned rather than a maru dai, I'm finding the actual braiding instructions a little confusing. But there are wonderful patterns here and instructions for making a simple maru dai, so if I can't figure it out on the card I'm sure I'll be learning to use the maru dai. ( )
  aulsmith | Feb 9, 2008 |
Easy to follow the braiding instructions. My only complaint is that the Japanese names for the various braids aren't given. ( )
  berylmoody | Nov 10, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,239,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible