The Guardian's Honor by Marta Perry

The Guardian's Honor

by Marta Perry

This book contains the conclusion to the search for Ned Bodine and what happened to him. Other plot points include a child with spina bifida who needs an operation to be able to walk, but whose mother cannot afford the bill for it; a coast guard member with a PTSD-like issue related to a past on-duty confrontation involving a child from Cuba; and a romance for Adam Bodine.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Cathy Norwood. I think part of her issue is self-esteem--she feels like she let down her grandparents by dropping out of school and getting married to a man who left her when the baby they produced wasn't "perfect". She's an overprotective mother, and while protecting your child is admirable, I sometimes wondered if she was projecting reactions onto other people based on her own expectations. She seems very negative and very suspicious much of the time. She doesn't seem to trust the good in others or that they may be honorable and do the right thing. And while I can't fault her for hoping that there might be some money available to help her son and grandfather, that seems to be her main focus--rather than being glad he's reconnecting with family she wants to know what's in it for them--even to the point where she plans a secret trip to view the probated will to see if Ned was left anything. I honestly can't see Adam falling in love with her.

Jamie, Cathy's son, on the other hand is an open, loving child who seems to bring out the best in his grandfather. (Though he does have his moments of not wanting to do things etc. so he's not portrayed as a "perfect" child in that sense either.) I can see Adam (and everyone else) falling in love with this little boy.

Both Cathy and Adam show some personal growth within the plot. I am proud of Cathy for refusing the first proposal for reasons other than fear and the other negatives she began the novel with. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Dec 30, 2018 |
Bear with one another and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.--Colossians 3:13
This story is dedicated to Bill and Molly Perry, my dear brother and sister-in-law. And, as always, to Brian, with much love.
"What are you doing?"

When her family calls brokenhearted Georgia Lee Bodine home to Charleston, she knows there's trouble. Her beloved grandmother hired some fancy lawyer to carry out eccentric requests--and unearth an old family secret. Georgia plans to send Matthew Harper packing until she discovers how much the widowed father cares about her grandmother. And that his heart is even more deeply guarded than her own. As they work together on the Bodine history, they uncover a surprise about themselves: that love can strike twice in a lifetime.--Publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,414,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible