Abigail the Whale by Davide Calì

Abigail the Whale

by Davide Calì, Sonja Bougaeva (Author)

136723,089 (4)None

Spanish (3)  English (3)  All (6)
When I first read the description for this book, I was like, WOW! Great! A book about bullies and fat shaming as it applies to kids. This is awesome! But I was rapidly let down. Bullying is a serious problem, and speaking as someone who was constantly bullied it can have serious lasting effects. Although it's wonderful that Abigail was able to boost her own confidence, the book never addresses the root problem - the bullies in her swim class. The ignoring of the bullies by the instructor, an adult who should have stepped in, is the same as saying their behavior is socially acceptable and that it's up to Abigail to deal with them by ignoring them and becoming more confident. Well written, but a serious missed opportunity that prevents me from giving this a higher rating.

Received for review ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Nov 17, 2016 |
Abigail the Whale by Davide Cali, Sonja Bougaeva (Illustrations) is a cute story about a girl that is a bit heavy and learning to deal with her body image. It is full of wonderful illustrations that really make the book POP! A adorable book and concept. Thanks NetGalley for suggesting this book! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Oct 21, 2016 |
Abigail hates to swim. She always tries to be the last in the line, because she knows what is coming. When she dives in her large, big, heavy body makes a huge wave, and everybody starts saying "Abigail is a whale!". Oh, how she hates to swim!
Things changes the day her swimming teacher tells her that "we are what we think", and that if she wants to swim light, she has to think light. Abigail decides to give it a try, and actually when she thinks water she feels liquid, and she is not scared anymore when she thinks giant. Next Wednesday is time to try it in the pool. Can Abigail do it?

The story has an interesting approach to the topic of bullying. We don't have to accept what others say about us as the truth. It is much more important the way we feel about ourselves. Abigail is adorable, and she looks beautiful in these amazing illustrations. My 3 years old son wanted to look a thousand times to the picture of Abigail swimming underwater, and I can perfectly see why. It just makes you feel like swimming! Abigail learns what a great swimmer she can be when she just think that this is possible, and this is a wonderful message. She can also be a whale if she feels like splashing some naughty kids. :)

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Find more children's book reviews in Reviews in Chalk ( )
  Sanlema | Aug 31, 2016 |

Davide Calìprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bougaeva, SonjaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,527,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible