Rules of an Engagement (The Adventurers'…

Rules of an Engagement (The Adventurers' Club) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Enoch (Author)

For proper young ladies, good behavior has always been the rule. Captain Bradshaw Carroway loves the seafaring life though he'd rather be battling brigands than his current assignment of ferrying a boatload of spoiled aristocrats. One passenger, however, has caught his eye: a bewitching young minx who definitely distracts him from the rules of shipboard decorum. Some rules, of course, are meant to be broken. Miss Zephyr Ponsley has traveled the world, but she's completely innocent in the ways of love. She's never learned to dance or flirt. But scientific observation has taught her that the laws of attraction have no rules, and that no adventure, on land or sea, is more dangerous or delicious than passion!… (more)
Member:KateFaceAtl
Title:Rules of an Engagement (The Adventurers' Club)
Authors:Suzanne Enoch (Author)
Info:Avon (2010), 384 pages

Rules of an Engagement by Suzanne Enoch

MY REVIEW

Summary
Captain Bradshaw Carroway, has a passion for living a life on the see, and loves the excitement and danger that comes from being Captain of his own ship, however when he is ordered by to be a babysitter to a load of Aristocrats, he would rather cut his own tongue out. However there is one passenger that has caught his eye, daughter of a well known historian, Zephyr Ponsely, has been by her fathers side ever since her mother passed away and been all over the world, and is eager to learn how to a lady and learn how to flirt and learn about life and passion. Zephyr is blunt and the desire between Shaw and Zephyr explodes after sharing a sensual embrace, Zephyr keeps breaking all sorts of rules of decorum and such, but would much rather be in Shaw’s embrace, than follow all the rules and be miserable, but what she never counting on was learning that giving into personal desires, can lead to matters of the heart, something she isn’t prepared for but then …neither is the confident rogue of a Captain…Bradshaw Carroway.

The Hero (Bradshaw Carroway)
Bradshaw, loved life on the sea, and wouldn’t ever think of giving it up…even for a woman. However the minute he is given a assignment to ferry some passengers that are just bound to make his life even more complicated, he starts to be drawn to a delightful young woman that has no sense of propriety or decorum, but a scientist, one that doesn’t even like him in the beginning, which charms him, and he knows that he wants more than anything is to keep her in his bed and in his life forever.

The Heroine (Zephyr Ponsley)
Zephyr is a scientist just like that of her father, however there is also a inner craving to have a life away from her father, to be a wife and a mother and have a home. When her mother died, she was dragged all over the world with her father, but about to enter into society, she has no idea the rules of decorum that are expected. But upon meeting the Captain, she knows she is in for a world of trouble, for he both infuriates her and awakens a hidden passion within her.

My Thoughts
Rules of an Engagement is the third in the Adventure Club Series by Suzanne Enoch. I just fell instantly in love with this story and the characters. The characters alone were full of wit and passion. The story itself wasn’t that incredible, however there was a sense of flirty fun throughout the story, that kept me engaged throughout the whole of it. At the beginning both the main characters hate each other, and had me laughing at their interactions with each other, but we see from the moment that they share that memorable first kiss, that things change for them both, and they realize how much alike they truly are. I truly haven’t enjoyed such a romance in a while, and it was good to have one that was carefree and full of laughs…plus the cover is utterly charming

My Favorite Quote
“That I couldn’t possibly crave adventure when its very goddess sleeps in my arms every night. In all my imaginings, Zephyr, I never expected this life. I never expected to fall in love. I never expected to want children or to be so…full of joy simply waking up to see you every morning. You are my adventure.” ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 18, 2019 |
This book was hard for me to rate. I would describe the characters as being flat but on the other hand, the dialogue between the flat characters was fantastic snappy witty banter, which I liked a lot. The storyline had a tendency to be meandering and an oddball "bad" guy who was a jerk, isn't a jerk? Not sure if author wants to use him in a future book or what but strange either way. The author had something here but I feel like she was maybe writing several books at one time or was somehow distracted while she wrote this.

I know I'm giving the impression I didn't like it but I did, solely on the two main characters banter and interactions, seriously, read it if you like a feisty lady and a man willing to accommodate that passion.

Story takes place on a ship with occasional stops on islands, not great with describing the settings but will provide a nice break from London ballrooms if you're tired of that. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
I am so happy Bradshaw Carroway got a story! I really enjoyed this book. After reading about two other Carroway brothers in the Lessons in Love series, I remember thinking that I'd wished I could read more about him. Zephyr had a wonderful straight forward manner that made for great banter with Shaw. There was just enough adventure to spice it up a bit but not so much that I got bored with it. Now if only the Duke of Sommerset had his own story! (I believe I have said that before...) ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Looking for a bit of a change of pace when I picked this book up, I was delighted! The characters, setting and humour works! I loved the interactions between the hero and heroine and have to say that I think that 'made' the book! This is the third in a trilogy, however, and I haven't read the first two, but I plan to remedy that as soon as I can find copies. Definitely an enjoyable and light-hearted read! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Jan 14, 2018 |
I enjoyed much about this book. The banter between the h/h was well done. They were both witty and interesting. I enjoyed life aboard their ship and the mission they were take with - it was unique for a regency-set novel.

The addition of the members of the ton seemed superfluous. They did nothing more than provide background noise, which was rather unnecessary. I really wanted to see a different outcome with Zephyr's father, though I understand that wasn't possible based on his character.

Overall a light read. The unexpected setting and witty banter set this apart and make it worth reading. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

For everyone who wanted Bradshaw Carroway
to have his own story.
Enjoy!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,434,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible