Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!!…

Other Goose: Re-Nurseried!! and Re-Rhymed!! Childrens Classics

by J. Otto Seibold

I really enjoyed reading these poems, as they were classic poems with a twist in words. These would be so fun to read with kids before bedtime. It may be a cool activity to read these poems along with their originals, and then have students create their own twist on a classic nursery rhyme. ( )
  Kathryn_Anne | Oct 21, 2016 |
I think this is a well needed refreshed version of the old mother goose stories because it follows Humpty Dumpty going to a more modern place, like the mall, and leaves him to make his own choices not so wise for him. I still do not get the moral of the story, I am bad at reading into this kind of thing, when I asked my daughter she told me its about making good decisions. I will go with this, as the book is intended for those who have not heard of the mother goose stories, and since learning the old ones carry some dark past, it maybe best to start a new with good origin stories.
  josephumana | Mar 16, 2015 |
I did a compare and contrast activity with this book with my fourth and fifth grade students. We compared the original nursery rhyme to the re-nurseried/re-rhymed version in the book. My students had a lot of fun with this activity. I was surprised at how many of them did not know the original rhymes by heart, like I did when I was a child.
  MissMurray2014 | Jun 4, 2014 |
I wanted to like this, but the poetry is very weak. The poetry is changed just for the sake of change--the new versions aren't always clever, either intrinsically or as parodies on the originals. The 're-rhyming' seems to have spoiled some perfectly good rhymes and left poorly rhymed poems with no rhythm to speak of. For example:

Why sing a song of sixpence?
That money doesn't make sense.
And who puts blackbirds in a pie?
I really have to wonder why.

Compared to the original:

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.

In the original, the meter of the third line echoes the first, and the longest line is six syllables. In the 'improved' version, there's no such symmetry, there are up to eight syllables per line, and it's just generally harder to read. I focus on the number of syllables per line because a good part of the charm of the originals is in the short, forceful lines of each poem. As Hannibal Lecter reminds us:

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old;
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

This should be read intensely. Strictly speaking, the lines are a bit longer, but the pause in the middle means that they may each be read in two shorter segments.

Many of the poems in Other Goose do indeed have shorter lines, but they generally still don't read well. Consider:

Baa baa black sheep,
have you any wool?
"Hmmm, let me see,"
he said after a lull.

The latter two lines flow very poorly, and I want to stress the second syllable in 'after' if I pause where the line breaks indicate, which isn't nice at all. It sounds a bit better if I read it "Hmmm, let me see, he said/after a lull.", but I shouldn't have to go over every nursery rhyme, carefully deciding where to pause and how to stress the words so they come out smoothly; nursery rhymes, as this very book indicates, should be memorable--this is not made easier by the poems being hard to read aloud.

Apart from all this criticism, I did like the art, generally. The sequence for "Jack B. Nimble" was fun, and everything was colorful and interesting, if not a little odd.

I'd love to see this artwork with better poems, and I do think there's some room for reworking nursery rhymes into something more modern. But I don't think that Other Goose succeeds at doing this. ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is just not my book. The art doesn't appeal to me & I think the rhymes are kind of lame. Saved from one star because the bad pun in Hickory Dickory Clock made me smile:

Hickory Dickory Clock
The mice ran up in a flock
The clock struck one;
the rest had fun.
Hickory Dickory clock. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |

It's Humpty Dumpty, Little Bo Peep, Jack Be Nimble, Miss Muffet, Little Boy Blue, and more, like you've never seen them before! Renowned artist J.otto Seibold re-nursuries and re-rhymes over the Mother Goose classics in this must-have collection. Featuring recurring characters and an ending that brings everyone back for a showstopping finale, this book is the most fun dear old Mother Goose has ever had!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:38 -0400)

It's Humpty Dumpty, Little Bo Peep, Jack Be Nimble, Miss Muffet, Little Boy Blue, and more, like you've never seen them before! Renowned artist J.otto Seibold re-nursuries and re-rhymes over the Mother Goose classics ... Featuring recurring characters and an ending that brings everyone back for a showstopping finale, this book is the most fun dear old Mother Goose has ever had!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,032,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible