The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, Book…

The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, Book 8) (Wheel of Time, 8) (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Robert Jordan (Author)

Series: The Wheel of Time (8)

The Wheel of Time ® is a PBS Great American Read Selection! Now in development for TV! Since its debut in 1990, The Wheel of Time® by Robert Jordan has captivated millions of readers around the globe with its scope, originality, and compelling characters. The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. The Seanchan invasion force is in possession of Ebou Dar. Nynaeve, Elayne, and Aviendha head for Caemlyn and Elayne's rightful throne, but on the way they discover an enemy much worse than the Seanchan. In Illian, Rand vows to throw the Seanchan back as he did once before. But signs of madness are appearing among the Asha'man. In Ghealdan, Perrin faces the intrigues of Whitecloaks, Seanchan invaders, the scattered Shaido Aiel, and the Prophet himself. Perrin's beloved wife, Faile, may pay with her life, and Perrin himself may have to destroy his soul to save her. Meanwhile the rebel Aes Sedai under their young Amyrlin, Egwene al'Vere, face an army that intends to keep them away from the White Tower. But Egwene is determined to unseat the usurper Elaida and reunite the Aes Sedai. She does not yet understand the price that others--and she herself--will pay. TV series update: "Sony will produce along with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures. Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC's "Agents of SHIELD," the Netflix series "Hemlock Grove," and the NBC series "Chuck." Red Eagle partners Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will executive produce along with Radar's Ted Field and Mike Weber. Darren Lemke will also executive produce, with Jordan's widow Harriet McDougal serving as consulting producer." --Variety The Wheel of Time® New Spring: The Novel #1 The Eye of the World #2 The Great Hunt #3 The Dragon Reborn #4 The Shadow Rising #5 The Fires of Heaven #6 Lord of Chaos #7 A Crown of Swords #8 The Path of Daggers #9 Winter's Heart #10 Crossroads of Twilight #11 Knife of Dreams By Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson #12 The Gathering Storm #13 Towers of Midnight #14 A Memory of Light By Robert Jordan and Teresa Patterson The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time By Robert Jordan, Harriet McDougal, Alan Romanczuk, and Maria Simons The Wheel of Time Companion By Robert Jordan and Amy Romanczuk Patterns of the Wheel: Coloring Art Based on Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time… (more)
Member:AnnaVictoriaJones
Title:The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, Book 8) (Wheel of Time, 8)
Authors:Robert Jordan (Author)
Info:Tor Books (1998), Edition: 1st, 528 pages

Work Information

The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan (1998)

Recently added byGeekLair, private library, souloftherose, Gorkycreator, JimiJames99, DaleJory, brian.crouch

English (67)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (69)
Þokkaleg saga í umsvifamiklum fantasíuheimi Jordans. Sagan er þó einungis 700 bls. millikafli í umfangsmikilum átökum þar sem ótal hópar berjast hver gegn öðrum en meginþemað sem er uppgjör góðs og ills kemur enn sem komið er lítið til sögunnar. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
And the Wheel rumbles on.
But off-road.
Traditionally, fantasy stories of coming of age heroes saving their world from personified evil (Dark One, Dark Lord, the Dark, etc.) go "from Shire to Mordor" in relatively direct sequence.
In Jordan's WoT, this central plot is, well, not central, and almost immaterial, from "Lord of Chaos" (Book 6) to this point and, I am suspecting, until Brandon Sanderson wraps up the series from Jordan's notes for Books 12-14.
What is interesting to me is, I LIKE this redirection. :)
It is the human stories in this cast of seemingly thousands that makes the WoT stand out for me. Multiple human conflicts and storylines occuring in parallel -- well, with excruciatingly slow movement toward convergence - with well-realized characters, old and ever more new, as well as fully realized nation and unique cultures all being transformed by events and unexpected changes as the Wheel trundles mercilessly on.
The best stories, for me, are of people undergoing change not of Powers.
It is my wanting to know what happens next to ALL these characters' story arcs (I find I care for them all -- and that is no mean feat for an author to accomplish) -- that keeps me reading.
I still find the "gender war" in depicting the sexes as inherently unable to understand one another a bit off-putting, but I note this and read on. ( )
  Dr_Bob | Feb 10, 2022 |
The first third of this book is great! We go on a rollicking adventure with several factions of spellcasters. After all the hype of how a circle of 13 spellcasters can create a lot more magic than they can individually, we finally see it happen. The resulting mess is really impressive and didn’t turn out as anyone expected.

The second third isn’t as good. It’s about the Amyrlin’s elaborate attempt to pull off something big. After numerous attempts to open her rosebud, the climax wasn't worth the buildup. It even ended in tears. Still, you could tell that the author had a huge Taraboner for it.

The last third is good, featuring fights and other cool things. One character has an incident when she tries to research an artifact described as a "crimson rod that felt hot … wrist-thick and a foot long." She later wakes up in bed wearing just her underwear. She has no memory of what happened, and we're not told what happened, but based on the looks on her friends' faces it was quite amusing and embarrassing. So what kind of artifact was it? A dild'ongreal??

Overall, though this book is considered part of the slog in the series, I didn't think it was that bad. It even has the first cover art that I like. Also, for the first time, I didn't listen to the audiobook version. The narrators are fine, but I needed a break from their voices. I'll revisit the audiobooks once I'm past the slog.

Lately, though, I feel the prose's clarity is decreasing. There are a few paragraphs I can't make sense of, either because I can't tell what the pronouns represent or a sentence in a (sane) character's internal monologue just comes out of left field. This problem is rare, but it shouldn't happen at all in a high-profile published work, and it's happening more and more with each book. ( )
1 vote KGLT | Dec 27, 2021 |
This is the second shortest ("only" 685 pages) and second-worst rated ("only" 3.92) of the series, and I'm inclined to think that there's a correlation there, as this one seems to have been MOSTLY just a lot of moving people into place. It ended just as there was a lot of BIG action about to happen, and there were characters who'd been left in peril in the previous book that didn't get a mention here. But I suppose that it's inevitable that there are entries in a series that are just first halves of what may have been originally a single much larger book. I suspect that the next book will probably have a bit more action and hopefully some resolution for poor Mat & Olver (and others). ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
My audio read of this series continues. Even though I only finished this a week or so ago, I had to go back to the synopis to remember what happened.
I am enjoying the series more now although all the things I have disliked since the beginning are still there. But having now invested so much time in this, you remain interested because of that. But the level of personal violence is discomforting - all that spanking! The TV series will surely have to remove that - our societal opinions on this have changed so much. ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 28, 2021 |

Nielsen, Matthew CIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers. --Anonymous notation found inked in the margin of a manuscript history (believed to date to the time of Arthur Hawkwing) of the last days of the Tovan Conclaves

On the heights, all paths are paved with daggers. --Old Sanchan saying
For Harriet
My light, my love, my heart,
forever
Ethenielle had seen mountains lower than these misnamed Black Hills, great lopsided heaps of half-buried boulders, webbed with steep twisting passes.

All’orizzonte si profila la minaccia di una nuova invasione del mondo da parte dei Seanchan, una razza di conquistatori il cui arsenale comprende rettili volanti cavalcati da uomini, e schiave dalle abilità magiche più potenti dei soldati più forti, molti dei quali si sono uniti all’esercito dei Seanchan spinti dalla paura che suscita in loro il Drago Rinato. La magia di Rand al’Thor continua a mettere in pericolo le persone a lui care, accrescendo il timore di essere condannato a distruggere chiunque ami. Egwene intanto continua a consolidare il proprio potere come ‘vera’ Amyrlin, avvicinandosi sempre più a Tar Valon e all’inevitabile confronto con Elaida.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,288,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible