Discourses and Selected Writings

by Epictetus

'I must die. But must I die bawling?'Epictetus, a Greek stoic and freed slave, ran a thriving philosophy school in Nicropolis in the early second century AD. His animated discussions were celebrated for their rhetorical wizardry and were written down by Arrian, his most famous pupil. Together with the Enchiridion, a manual of his main ideas, and the fragments collected here, The Discoursesargue that happiness lies in learning to perceive exactly what is in our power to change and what is not, and in embracing our fate to live in harmony with god and nature. In this personal, practical guide to the ethics of Stoicism and moral self-improvement, Epictetus tackles questions of freedom and imprisonment, illness and fear, family, friendship and love, and leaves an intriguing document of daily life in the classical world. In the intorduction that accompanies this lively new translation, Robert Dobbin discusses Epitetus' life, his palce in the Stoic tradition, his influence on world philosophies and his relevance in the modern day. This edition also includes a bibliography, notes and a glossary of names.… (more)

Another Stoic reminding us that death is always near, and so we must make best use of the time remaining to us. The Enchiridion is a great concept - a little book of thoughts to carry around and help us cope with life's problems. ( )
  sharonandjerry | Dec 31, 2019 |
Robert Dobbin manages the hugely difficult task of translating with an appropriate sense of immediacy but without losing accuracy. His use of slang and contemporary idiom doesn't jar, and adds to the conversational way in which Arrian presents Epictetus's discourses. The selection of material (including fragments from other works) is as complete as possible, and there is enough critical apparatus to frame the work without swamping it. ( )
1 vote Lirmac | Sep 11, 2018 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,532,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible