A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of…

A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time (edition 2013)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (14)

The conclusion to the Wheel of Time series draws on notes left by the late Robert Jordan.
Member:twodragonsrob
Title:A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Orbit (2013), Paperback, 912 pages

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending.

And oh what an ending it was.

Battle is joined throughout the world, with Trollocs pouring into the borderlands and through the Ways into Caemlyn. Taim shows his true colors. Rand tries to forge a Dragon's Peace, a legacy of
something other than death and destruction.

And then. The Last Battle. A single chapter longer than many entire books. And what a chapter. The Shadow fields seemingly insurmountable armies, including hordes of channelers led by Demandred himself. Mat, the Son of Battles, Prince of the Ravens, is called upon to do what he does best.

“Yes, I'm alive," Mat said. "I'm usually pretty good at staying alive. I've only failed one time that I can remember, and it hardly counts.”

And even once that Last Battle is concluded, Rand fights his own private dual with the Dark One, only to realize that despite all his lofty dreams, without Evil, there is no way to choose to do Good.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

And so ends this cycle of the Wheel of Time. Give it a few years and I'm sure I'll read it again. It's worth it. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
The Wheel of Time comes to a close, and it does so far better than one could usually hope for such a long running series. Sanderson definitely revitalized the series and hit nearly all the points he needed to wind everything down in a satisfactory way.

I began this series when in the 90s. Much has changed since then. I was young then. In my (finally) finishing of the series, I've decided that books 1-3 still hold most of the joy I remembered reading them then. This is pretty high praise. Most of the books I have revisited as an adult do not have this same reaction. They have faults in pacing, the paint by numbers women who for some reason pull their braids and smooth their skirts, and Robert Jordan far too frequently loves his analogies but the magic system, Moraine, and three teenagers stories are great enough to overcome those faults. I highly recommend them. In fact, you could technically read those books and have a complete beginning, middle, and end.

This is not true for books 4-11. The faults frequently overcome the story. The plot is... plodding. Robert Jordan's weakness for writing about women becomes truly problematic as more and more women join the fray but frequently do and think such thoughts that are absolutely ridiculous. I would never really recommend anyone truly read these. Tor has a section of their website dedicated to someone who read them and wrote their thoughts. That's probably a more interesting read. I bought the Path of Dagger but could not bring myself to read it. I retired the series, swearing to one day check in when it was all finished.... years then fly by.

Thankfully, the series ends on a high note. While I am saddened that Robert Jordan couldn't finish his own series Sanderson took Jordan's ideas, a bit of his writing style (but not all of it thankfully), and made something Robert Jordan probably could not have done. ( )
1 vote illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
Thank the Light that this woolheaded series is finally over. Blood and bloody ashes!! ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
It is done. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
I was so sad to hear that Robert Jordan had died and was wondering if the series would ever finish. I was wondering how Brandon Sanderson would do and I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did and I'm glad that the series got finished and I was able to see what happened to the characters. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet, the light of Mr. Jordan's life, and for Emily, the light of mine.
Bayrd pressed the coin between his thumb and forefinger. (Prologue)

Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,539,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible