Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

River Marked (Mercy Thompson) by Patricia…

River Marked (Mercy Thompson) (edition 2011)

by Patricia Briggs (Author)

Member:lovestamps
Title:River Marked (Mercy Thompson)
Authors:Patricia Briggs (Author)
Info:Orbit (2011), 352 pages

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

English (119)  Piratical (1)  All languages (120)
Mercy Thompson. Oh wait, Mercy Hauptman, is one of my favorite heroines.

No matter what the odds are, she never gives up, and she does everything she can to protect the ones she loves. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
I liked this opus a lot. There was a change of scenery, a very creepy monster, Mercy learns a lot about who she is and we find out more about the Indian lore in Mercy's world. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
I love the Mercy Thompson books, however this one lacked the action and drama of the rest. I was left wanting more from Coyote. I'm glad however that the wedding went off without a hitch, Adam and Mercy deserve to be together.
I can say that this one wasn't what I was expecting and I wasn't too thrilled with it. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
Mercy and Adam are finally getting married! That is, if they can survive her mother's grandiose plans and a honeymoon that soon takes a dangerous turn when they find an ancient and dangerous beast in the river near their camp. It's marked Mercy, and hungers for more humans to feed on.

The sixth book in the Mercy Thompson series finally explores some of the hints that we received early in series about Mercy's abilities as a shapeshifter into a coyote and her Indian heritage. Local folk from the Yakima tribe aid her and Adam as they seek to defeat the beast. Though some of the other side characters only bookend this one, I enjoyed the exploration of Mercy's parentage. The author delves quite a bit into Native American lore, which was interesting to me but as ignorant as I am of it, I can't comment on her accuracy. Several threads have been introduced with Fae, vampires, werewolves, and now shapeshifters, all having their own sort of interplay and it will be intriguing to see how it all continues to come together in further installments. ( )
  bell7 | Sep 28, 2018 |
River Marked
4 Stars

To begin with, River Marked is a departure from the other books in the series and ardent fans may be disappointed as the familiar cast of secondary characters is set aside in favor of a completely different group. While Stefan, Warren, Ben and the rest of the gang are missed, the introduction of new characters and concepts related to Mercy's Native American heritage and her role as a Walker is particularly interesting and adds another layer to her characterization, which has been missing up till now.

The book starts off slowly with Mercy and Adam's rather abrupt wedding, which is cute but also kind of cheesy and saccharine. Nevertheless, the story becomes more exciting once the action starts and the plot revolving around an ancient river monster feeding off humans is intense and compelling.

Mercy and Adam are growing closer as couple and their interactions are a highlight of the book, especially their arguments and Mercy's letter at the end. Unfortunately, Ms. Briggs is still halting their relationship at the bedroom door and aside for one or two hints at intimacy, everything happens off page. If Briggs is uncomfortable with these scenes then why include a romance in the story at all - it does nothing but build up readers' expectations only to leave them unfulfilled.

The focus on Native American folklore is fascinating and the revelations regarding the identity of Mercy's father and the origins of her abilities is very intriguing although Coyote's character is a little too mysterious and enigmatic at times.

Overall, a solid addition to the series but not everyone will be pleased with the new direction. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, Daniel DosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Derek, Michelle, Jodi, Kari, Elaine, and Megan— it's about itme you got one.

And for Laura and Genevieve— welcome to the family.
Under the glare of streetlights, I could see that the grass of Stefan's front lawn was dried to yellow by the high summer heat.

Car mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has never known any others of her kind. Until now. As Mercy comes to terms with this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River--and if Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, are to have any hope of surviving, they will need all the resources the shifters can offer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible