The Overton Window by Glenn Beck

The Overton Window (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Glenn Beck

Series: Overton Window (1)

7531925,055 (3.3)10
An unprecedented attack on U.S. soil shakes the country to the core and puts into motion a frightening plan, decades in the making, to transform America and demonize all those who stand in the way. Exposing the plan and revealing the conspirators behind it, PR executive Noah Gardner hatches his own plan to save both the woman he loves and the individual freedoms he once took for granted.… (more)
Member:ccm1080
Title:The Overton Window
Authors:Glenn Beck
Info:Threshold Editions (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

Work Information

The Overton Window by Glenn Beck (2010)

Wow! I went into this book with low expectations. Really would you expect ANYTHING good from a Fiction book written by Glenn Beck? I only picked it up because I like the title as I had read other items on the concept of the Overton Window.

This story follows Noah Gardner, the heir apparent of a super powerful "Marketing firm" used by the global elite to swing thing in their direction and his short lived love affair with the new mail girl, a "patriot" in some sort of Tea Party movement.

Molly the patriot girl has an elaborate story, and a family, and a love interest who appears to be this universe's Alex Jones. They convenience Noah to break into his father's business to get more data on a coming false flag.

Or did they? Was it all a trick, are these patriot wack jobs trying to frame him?

While from a guy who invited the idea of a "9/12" group about "how we all loved America right after 9/11" I had heard Beck had been trying to steal some of the audience of Alex Jones, but I didn't realize how far down the rabbit hole he had gone.

But the deception in this book is on all sides. The sexual tension is much more than I would expect from a Mormon, and all in all I cannot recommend this enough, regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, but certainly if you have had any ongoing with the "patriot" movement in your life, you'll get a kick out of this, and I suspect the lefty hippies will too. ( )
  fulner | Nov 18, 2015 |
This was better than I thought it would be. It was a little heavy-handed at times, and there were a few things I was confused about. But overall a good thriller. I especially loved the concept of the Overton Window, which is basically ( I hope I don't slaughter this too bad) the window of truths the general population are willing to accept at any given time. Depending on who you are and your motivations, the goal is to push the boundaries of this window. I liked how the book itself (as with most any other) is a type of Overton Window in that it pushes us a little further to expand this window. I know this is a thriller, but I think that's why I love the Dystopian genre so much. If we can (in at least part of our minds) accept a fictional, crazy future, we will be better prepared to handle a reality that will probably be far less extreme. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Easy read, plausible, and based on actual documents or suggested by evidence.
  gmicksmith | Dec 25, 2012 |
I'll post my review later this week. ( )
  landlocked54 | Nov 26, 2012 |
What can I say? I couldn't put this book down. I hear that is a sequel coming this year. I can't wait. The thing is , all this could and most probably is happening now. It makes you wonder about every thing you see and hear about. It sure opened my eyes as to how we are lulled into a false sense of reality. Highly reccommend it. ( )
  Jeani1512 | Feb 25, 2012 |
Suffice to say that, the subtitle notwithstanding, there is nothing even remotely thrilling about this didactic, discursive — sporadically incoherent — novel. The image of a train wreck comes quickly to mind, though this book actually has more the character — and all of the excitement — of a lurching, low-speed derailment halfway out of the station.

Anyone who has tuned in to Beck's show knows that he is sometimes joined on-screen by best-selling thriller writers such as Vince Flynn and James Rollins. In his foreword, Beck notes his love of the genre and acknowledges that "the goal of most thrillers is to entertain." Sadly, he seems to have learned little from his thriller-writing friends.

Belongs to Series

Faith: To David Barton, a man who knows that the answers were left everywhere in plain sight by our Founders.
Hope: To Marcus Luttrell, a man who has shown us all what it really takes to never quit.
Charity: To Jon Huntsman, Sr., the man I hope to be someday. You are a giant in a world that seems increasingly small.
Never give up, never give in.
Eli Churchill was a talker.

[From Wikipedia]: The novel is based on the Overton window concept in political theory, in which at any given moment there is a range of policies related to any particular issue that are considered politically acceptable ("in the window"), and other policies that politicians seeking to gain or hold public office do not feel they can recommend without being considered too far outside the mainstream ("outside the window"). Moving the window would make previously radical ideas seem reasonable. Beck has referred to the book as "faction"- fiction based on facts.[3]

The plot revolves around a man named Noah Gardner, a public relations executive who has no interest in politics. He changes his mind when he meets a woman, Molly Ross, who is "consumed by the knowledge that the America we know is about to be lost forever," an idea Gardner dismisses as a conspiracy theory. After America comes under attack, however, he works to expose the conspirators behind the attack

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,026,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible