I Melrose: Edizione integrale (Italian…

I Melrose: Edizione integrale (Italian Edition) (original 2006; edition 2018)

by Edward St Aubyn (Author), Luca Briasco (Translator), Maurizio Bertocci (Translator)

Series: Patrick Melrose (4)

Shortlisted for the 2006 Man Booker Prize, Mother's Milk is the fourth of the Melrose novels. Now a husband and a father - and irresistibly caught up in a wreckage of broken promises, child-rearing, adultery and assisted suicide - Patrick finds his wife Mary consumed by motherhood, his mother Eleanor consumed by a New Age foundation, and his five-year-old son understanding far more than he ought. Set between the south of France and the USA, Mother's Milk is a breathtaking exploration of the troubled allegiances between parents and children, husbands and wives.… (more)
Member:babxba
Title:I Melrose: Edizione integrale (Italian Edition)
Authors:Edward St Aubyn (Author)
Other authors:Luca Briasco (Translator), Maurizio Bertocci (Translator)
Info:Neri Pozza (2018), 819 pages

Mother's Milk by Edward St Aubyn (2006)

Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another book with family dysfunction at the core. Like St. Aubyn's book playful, sharp, observant, and beautifully written.

English (33)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
I've been impressed throughout by the honesty of these stories. They go places you wouldn't expect. The world in Mother's Milk is rather bleak, with each adult caught up in their own dramas and old patterns of behaviour, or else getting worn down by the dramas of others. I could see little bits of myself in each character, which gave pause for thought. The portrayal of the various mothers in the story was brilliant, giving rise to a number of achingly sad moments. ( )
  Elizabeth_Foster | Dec 24, 2019 |
I came across this book as it has a place on the 1001-list. I liked listening to it. But because it is part 4 of a series, it was quite hard in the beginning to get hold on the circumstances, characters and what was going on. Why were people reacting the way they were.
Nevertheless it was an ibteresting book to read, put a finger on some sore spots, was at times quite recognizable in terms of situations and reactions :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 9, 2019 |
Big disappointment! Lost completely the drive that made the first three novels such an enjoyable read. Starts with the boring telling by Patrick's son, only to continue with Patrick's which also lost the power it had before. Superfluous novel. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
This is another book I read because it was on the 1001 list. It was also short-listed for the Booker. While it's a somewhat enjoyable book, and competently written, I'm not sure why it deserves either of those honors.

It's the story of a British family, father Patrick, mother Mary, their two young sons, and Patrick's mother. Each August, Patrick, Mary and their sons spend August at Patrick's mother's villa in the south of France. Unfortunately for them, his mother is in the process of donating the villa (and indeed almost all of her fortune) to a New Age guru to use as a spiritual retreat. As a barrister, Patrick carries out his mother's request to effect the transfers. His actions are against his better judgment, and against his own self-interest as her son. We follow the family through three summers in the south of France, and a fourth summer in America.

The book is told in four parts, one for each summer. The first is narrated by the older child, who is 5 or 6 at the time. Ensuing narrations are from the pov of Patrick and of Mary.

The book is satirical--particularly of America and Americans and New Age adherents. It's sometimes funny, but I felt a lot of anger and bitterness underneath the humor. As one reviewer on Amazon said, "If you dislike your spouse and regret having children and really hate your mother, you might enjoy it." ( )
  arubabookwoman | Feb 24, 2016 |
Patrick Melrose novel four shows Patrick as a father and in competition with his youngest son (Thomas) for the affection of his wife Mary. We also spend considerable time getting the point of view of things from the perspective of his eldest son Robert (who is remarkably intelligent). Parenting, adultery and sibling rivalry figure prominently. Of the four [novels], I've enjoyed this one the most. Robert's take on being born is priceless! ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Aubyn, Edward Stprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juiz, Cruz RodríguezTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Lucian
Why had they pretended to kill him when he was born?
At his age he either had to join the resistance or become a collaborator with death. There was no room to play with self-destruction once the juvenile illusion of indestructability had evaporated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,722,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible