In the Woods: A Novel by Tana French

In the Woods: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tana French (Author)

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:In the Woods: A Novel
Authors:Tana French (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Collections:Kindle Books, Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

In the Woods by Tana French (2007)

The Likeness by Tana French (2810michael)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    Haunted Ground by Erin Hart (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Irish setting, good characters and well written
    Sister by Rosamund Lupton (kraaivrouw)
    Dark Places: A Novel by Gillian Flynn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In the Forest by Edna O'Brien (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Murder mysteries set in forests of Ireland, although otherwise not very similar.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    This Body of Death by Elizabeth George (cometahalley)
    The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Missing persons cases drive these lyrical, richly detailed novels that blend Mystery and Psychological Fiction to explore family secrets, childhood friendships, and the loss of innocence. First-person narration heightens suspense by calling into question the reliability of memory.… (more)
    Gallows Hill by Rory O'Brien (msouliere)
    December by Phil Rickman (ehines)

English (436)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (450)
Psychological suspense — new mystery solved old one — Police Det. as child who survived when 2 friends — gone — still open — maybe another Book?

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children. He is gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a 12-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox (his partner and closest friend) find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.
  christinejoseph | May 17, 2018 |
4.5 stars.

The thing about this book, I think, is how it's a mysterythriller, and yet it's so much more than that.

Let me elaborate:

At some point in the book, probably somewhere around the middle, I had an inkling as to what the solution to the mystery was going to be. And when it at last indeed unraveled just that way, I was to say the least less than shocked. And if that had been the only aspect of this story, granted I would have been more than a little disappointed.

But it wasn't.

There was a whole story going on outside the strict limits of the mystery itself. It was a story about certain really well-developed characters, the dynamics between them - which were nuanced and beautiful and heartbreaking - and how they were affected by the crime, and other people, and by life.

At the end of the day, I rooted for them, I cared for them, I hurt for them. That's why the whole resolution, even if not ranking all that high in the twist or shocking category, was a punch to the guts, and one that would stay with me for a long time to come. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Just read the Kindle Sample not the book. However, the style immediately put me off of buying this book. I feel totally disengaged when an author is instructing me, like holding my hand, with opening statements like "Picture a summer stolen..." Then "Move closer..." This is in the Prologue. The opening sentence of the book itself is "What I warn you to remember is that..." Directly addressing the reader like this, for me, distances me from the story itself. Instead of reading, discovering it for myself, someone is clearly telling the story to me. I simply can't read novels with this style. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Since I started following book bloggers and watching BookTube videos, I've heard the name Tana French tossed around and hailed as the new crime author to watch for. "They" were right.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in her Dublin Murder Squad series and will pick up the other books soon. As I understand it, each book of the series focuses on a different detective from the Murder Squad, and weaves their past into the current case. For Detective Adam Ryan, the murder of a little girl brings back the nightmare of a crime from his childhood. As the lines between the past and the present begins to blur, Ryan starts to lose his grip on his own sanity. Bit by bit, the case becomes Ryan's salvation and ever-present demon at the same time. Through it, he gets back bits of his lost childhood but loses something from his present self.

The murder in present time, and the case in the past, are both equally haunting and disturbing. But what haunted me the most was watching the main protagonist struggle and ultimately lose himself. It's the story of how one event, one choice, can change the course of an individual's life trajectory. Some rise above the choice and others, ultimately become victim to it.

The book reminds us that the men and women behind the shields are so imperfectly human - that when you are struggling to understand your own loss and the slow breakdown of your world, they are also breaking inside. ( )
  Narumon | Apr 16, 2018 |
Would have been a four but made some new author mistakes on the police procedural part of the novel. Had a few moments where I actually asked myself, "really, that's doesn't seem very likely." liked it enough to read the next book. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wang, JenniferCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, NancyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered... What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"
-- Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,443,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible