In the Woods: A Novel by Tana French

In the Woods: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tana French (Author)

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:In the Woods: A Novel
Authors:Tana French (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Collections:Kindle Books, Fiction, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

In the Woods by Tana French (2007)

The Likeness by Tana French (2810michael)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    Haunted Ground by Erin Hart (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Irish setting, good characters and well written
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    Sister by Rosamund Lupton (kraaivrouw)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In the Forest by Edna O'Brien (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Murder mysteries set in forests of Ireland, although otherwise not very similar.
    This Body of Death by Elizabeth George (cometahalley)
    The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Missing persons cases drive these lyrical, richly detailed novels that blend Mystery and Psychological Fiction to explore family secrets, childhood friendships, and the loss of innocence. First-person narration heightens suspense by calling into question the reliability of memory.… (more)
    Gallows Hill by Rory O'Brien (msouliere)
    December by Phil Rickman (ehines)

English (448)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (462)
I am in two minds about this one... I don't hate it but I didn't particularly love it either. The book had two murder mysteries at its core and one of them remains unsolved... this bummed me out hugely. One of the reasons that I kept reading on for the 450 odd pages was to unearth the mystery of the missing children... So, I would say that I was a little disappointed by the ending. I am not one of those readers who need a neatly packaged climax with all the loose ends tied up but there is nothing in the end nor in the whole novel that would make one imagine or even give a glimpse as to what happened to the kids mentioned on the book jacket which somewhat agitated me. Maybe the whole purpose of the 'disappearing kids mystery' was to give a back story to the protagonist but still...! Also, the narrator very early on comments that he craves truth but he lies which renders a touch of unreliability to his whole story... or maybe I am thinking too much. Having said that, I would still give credit to the writer because she kept me hooked enough to finish the novel (though there was some added fluff about motorways and politicians); the imagery of the titular woods was vividly described, the tragedy of the little ballet dancer just on the cusp of fulfilling her dream being killed indeed hits home, and the brutality and the thought behind the killing definitely chills you. P.S. If any one of you have read it, do tell me if I have missed something regarding the unsolved mystery of the kids.
  Megha17 | Jan 17, 2019 |
Friends have been recommending Tana French to me for a couple of years now. I finally put her first Dublin Murder Squad at the top of my list and am glad I did. Her writing is literary and the mystery was compelling. I found some of the characters irksome, but that just means she made them complex enough to irk me! (view spoiler) Highly recommend if you are looking for a good mystery in a very writerly style. ( )
  beebeereads | Jan 8, 2019 |
This one has been on my list for awhile, but I will freely admit that it just did not keep my attention. I gave it several tries and finally put it aside.... ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
Above average police procedural cum psychological novel. The profile of the two main detectives is unusually and perceptively detailed. 6 December 2018. ( )
  alanca | Dec 11, 2018 |
Great plot, but I had a hard time believing a central bit of it (that nobody knew the main character's backstory). That colored the read for me, but overall, still a really good read and I'll look forward to others in the series. ( )
  JBD1 | Nov 27, 2018 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wang, JenniferCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, NancyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered... What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"
-- Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,747,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible