In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tana French

Member:artistlibrarian
Title:In the Woods
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:fiction, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:murder, mystery, Irish

In the Woods by Tana French (2007)

The Likeness by Tana French (2810michael)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    Haunted Ground by Erin Hart (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Irish setting, good characters and well written
    Sister by Rosamund Lupton (kraaivrouw)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    In the Forest by Edna O'Brien (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Murder mysteries set in forests of Ireland, although otherwise not very similar.
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    This Body of Death by Elizabeth George (cometahalley)
    The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Missing persons cases drive these lyrical, richly detailed novels that blend Mystery and Psychological Fiction to explore family secrets, childhood friendships, and the loss of innocence. First-person narration heightens suspense by calling into question the reliability of memory.… (more)
    Gallows Hill by Rory O'Brien (msouliere)
    December by Phil Rickman (ehines)

English (443)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (457)
From the beginning it's another slow start novel to get into. I found myself having trouble staying hooked to this book until maybe, 7 chapters in. The descriptions of how the crime goes down, to each character is what kept me going. You learn to like some characters and to hate some. Honestly, I thought this novel was going to be more of a spine chilling thriller for me. But it wasn't. Just a crime novel at it's best. Very well written and it did keep me guessing who the killer was. The twist in end, I wasn't expecting. I did however like the book overall, and I can't wait to jump into Tana French's other thrillers.
If you do love a good crime book. With a bit of twist to it. I recommend this novel for sure!
Four out of Five stars for me. ( )
  MissTamaraDawn | Oct 30, 2018 |

Best new mystery writer in a long time - got this author from listening to a talk show with Laura Lippmann who recommended this author. She writes beautifully, great character development, great story - what more could you want in a mystery/beach read? And I am now beginning her third and the second one was if anything better than the first. Will let you know about the third one.
  Darragh4444 | Oct 22, 2018 |
Hmm... I couldn't put this book down. The characters are interesting, the writing is good, and the storyline really grabbed me. Without giving anything away, I'll just say that what bothered me about this book was the ending. It made me mad, frustrated, and confused, but it wasn't necessarily a bad ending, and after I finished my mind and my heart were both racing. I can't decided if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I did enjoy the majority of the book to the point that I would recommend it to people who enjoy a good murder mystery. ( )
  VeeMcD123 | Oct 13, 2018 |
I was a little disappointed with the ending, but maybe the things that didn't get wrapped up are returned to in other books in the series. That's my hope. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Many mysteries entwine characters and plot, but few delve so deeply into the mind of the protagonist as this one. And few books have ever documented such intensifying, escalating levels of psychic pain. Dublin murder squad detective Rob and his partner Cassie are assigned to investigate a child killing in his hometown of Knocknaree. Adding an immediate level of complication is Rob's background: as a twelve year old, he was attacked in the very same woods, and his two best friends went missing and have never been found. He pursues the new case in semi-disguise from his old neighbors, as he now uses his middle name and is not, on any level, the same boy who was left in the woods decades earlier.

What's extraordinary here is the utter honesty of Rob's inner thoughts. He has had to peel off many internal layers to survive, as he was sent to boarding school after being found unconscious and with no memory of the attack, no way to assist the investigators, and all this weighs heavily on the investigation. His powerful relationship with Cassie is a complete partnership, as they exchange the most painful of memories and find a bit of peace in their platonic devotion to each other. However, Rob is confident one day and totally paralyzed the next, as he begins to recall the closeness of the group of three friends from his youth and the repercussions from their violent separation. Having forced the tragedy from his conscience - why did he alone survive - as the new murder causes it all to rise to the surface, his relationship with Cassie is threatened. The investigation itself, centered at an archeological dig, throws off several red herrings, and ultimately the resolution becomes secondary to the second ruination of Rob's entire life.

Quotes: “There is a side of me that is most intensely attracted to women who annoy me.”

“I am not good at noticing when I am happy, except in retrospect.” ( )
1 vote froxgirl | Aug 11, 2018 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wang, JenniferCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, NancyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered... What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"
-- Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,258,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible