At the Earth's Core

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Pellucidar (1)

8401819,504 (3.46)1 / 27
David Innes is a young man who has just inherited a large mining company. An eccentric inventor, Abner Perry, convinces Innes to underwrite a project to build a 'iron mole', claiming it will make them both wealthy. The mechanical beast works well, actually too well. On the maiden voyage, instead of digging for a few minutes and returning, they plunge straight through the earth's crust into the 'inner world' of Pellucidar. This world resembles earth but is a horizon-less, primeval tropical landscape where the sun neither sets nor rises, and is populated by 'Sagoth' gorilla men, wild human slaves, and the ruling hypnotic reptilian 'Mahors'.… (more)

English (17)  Danish (1)  All languages (18)
It took me a long time to get back to Boroughs. I read all the Tarzan books as a teen but there are several others on my wish list. He's always available, to be enjoyed, so I have been putting them off for the future. Needing a change in book styles I selected this classic.

Wow, was it fun! I always forget what a great adventure writer he was. Now I have to read the sequel. ( )
  ikeman100 | May 20, 2020 |
It took a while to get going about 30 pages in, but it was entertaining enough to read. ( )
  Arkrayder | Mar 13, 2020 |
This novel, published in 1914, feels very Jules Verne-ish, albeit that the technology is updated a few decades from that author's Journey to the Centre of the Earth. While the science of a hollow Earth is obviously nonsensical, this is quite a gripping story and the environment in this strange, buried world is vividly described. This is a short novel, only 82 pages, but it packs in a lot with a bare minimum of backstory and character development. The end is rather rushed and unbelievable even in the context of the obviously fantastical narrative, but I enjoyed this one at a fairly superficial level. ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 21, 2019 |
This was OK. Definitely hilarious in the way that only very early sci-fi can be, in the sense of “I cannot believe people thought that was what the centre of the Earth was like!” Some bits did remind me of Journey to the Centre of the Earth, but I think Verne’s story has a bit more charm.

A heads-up that the protagonist expresses colonial-type sentiments (referring to the people living in Pellucidar as “primitive”, etc.). It is also disappointing that the humans’ society is still very much predicated on patriarchy. A shortcoming of imagination on the author’s part. I did like the ending, though; it was very cleverly done. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 12, 2019 |
My copy had pictures from the "new" movie - that Doug McClure classic version.

Very fun tale familiar story. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 10, 2019 |

Krenkel, Roy G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawlor, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. John, James AllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first place bear in mind that I do not expect you to believe this story.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010081X, 1400111188

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,565,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible