The Aristobrats by Jennifer Solow

The Aristobrats (edition 2010)

by Jennifer Solow

1541,122,109 (3.5)None
"Parker Bell knows the secret to beauty is pretty simple--wearing the right clothes isn't as important as how you feel in them. Popularity is like that too. It's all about attitude. You have to picture who you want to be and then just imagine that's who you already are. This year Parker and her three best friends have finally made their way to the top of the populadder at Wallingford Academy. Their Facebook Friend count has never been higher, and as Aristobrats, they've been groomed to lead the school to greatness. But when the girls are assigned to produce the seriously lame school webcast, their popularity plummets! Will this tragedy destroy everything they've worked for? Or their friendship? Or both?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:jennifersolow
Title:The Aristobrats
Authors:Jennifer Solow
Info:Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (2010), Paperback, 224 pages

The Aristobrats by Jennifer Solow

I promised Jennifer that I would review this months ago, and I am finally following through. Sorry for taking so long, Jennifer!

I'm going to be the first to say that I am not the world's best reviewer. I used to have a "book review blog" years ago, way before they became popular, and I didn't keep up with it because I realized it's not my strength. (Get me blogging about Disney World, on the other hand....) Still, I am going to give it my best shot.

At first glance, it may seem that The Aristobrats is another one of those "bitch-lit" stories like Gossip Girl or The Clique. (And don't get me wrong, I LIKE the few Gossip Girl books I've read a lot.) I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't. The characters are warm and fun to read about. They're not perfect, but that's OK.

I loved Parker's interactions with her mom. I was laughing out loud at a lot of it. They were hilarious. But my favorite story was Ikea's. YAY person of color!! And YAY person of color who struggled with things that I did when I was younger as far as fitting in, trying to be like the other girls. Her story was dear to me. I don't want to give away spoilers, but she is so strong. I was pumping my fist and yelling 'you go girl' at many points!

I loved that this book wasn't overly positive or negative. It just was. And that was refreshing. :) ( )
  lilrongal | Nov 20, 2017 |
Not what I usually read, but I wanted to try a younger book once too, and I did. What can I say, it was a cute one.

I never like books that try too much to be young, or show the worst side of kids, since they are nice kids too that never did stuff like that. I was one of those and I rather read about those too. This book has hip kids, prepsters, and slang, but it felt real.

Parker goes to a fancy private school, she had her 3 best friends and she year she will rule the school. But not in mean girl way, no there are codes and the code is be nice to everyone, even if they have totally horrid clothes on. Cos mean girls are two-thousand-and-late. But then they have to do the school news show that everyone hates and their social status plunges, and their friendship is suddenly rocky. And of course there are the cute guy she wants, oh and the not so nice girls.

Parker and her friends were nice and different. One loved fashion, one was the brain, and together they were the best of friends. The message that shines through is that friends are important, and to be nice to each other. They also learn that perhaps everything doesn't have to be perfect, like do you really need the perfect guy that everyone thinks you should end up with. They have a lot to learn.

At the back of the book was also a cute glossary that explained some words that were used. Still I did feel a bit out of it at times with some short text messages that were there. But that didn't really stop the flow of the story.

This is a book that I would recommend to young girls, and to the YA audience too, and adults too. Because it was a sweet book, and when it ended, well I was curious about what happens next, and about this boy she started to like. And there will be more books to that will be nice.

Final thoughts: A nice, sweet book about friendship, and that attitude counts. Act like you enjoy being you and other will see you like that. ( )
  blodeuedd | Sep 25, 2010 |
The Aristobrats is about a group of girls that while high on the popularity scale aren't really what you would consider mean girls, not really, they really like their popularity but for the most part they are nice to other students which was refreshing!

The book was very current which was good and bad, I loved the idea of someone like Steve Jobs providing the school with all sort of current gadgets like giant screens and tablets and things that let you spy on classrooms making it an ultra-techy school. But at the same time there was so much insider lingo to the girls' group it sort of distracted from the actual story because I kept having to look up the words in the back or if there weren't listed in the Guide to Terms figure it out on my own. Yes, the lingo showed how close the girls were having almost their own language but it made it a bit harder for me, the reader.

I also thing telling the stories from each girl's perspective for say a whole chapter instead of for a bit here and there would have helped separate them more from each other and create a clearer personality for each girl. But if this is set to be a series, which I think it is, maybe the next book will be told for another girl's perspective?

I did really like the plot though, how the girls were assigned to write and film a school wide newshow with other classmates, and also the normal things 8th grade girls go through dealing with cliques and boys etc. Overall, I think this book might be especially enjoyed but Middle Grade/Junior High age girls! ( )
  mint910 | Sep 5, 2010 |
I thought this was great for preteens. It has a great storyline and would definitely encourage them to read because it will remind them of their school life and friends with trying to fit in. I thought the storyline was realistic. The only thing unrealistic about the story was the school, however if my school everybody else school was like theirs they would love school. The school reminded me of Hogwarts with the themes and computerize stuff. Except it doesn't have any magical beings such as wizards and wands.

I thought the characters were realistic and easy to relate to except for maybe Kiki but I'm not that big of a fashionista as she is. I thought the story moved rather quickly but was easy to keep up with. I though Ikea's relationship with her father was great and will help other girls realize they don't have to be perfect for their father's or mothers to be proud of them.

There are also a lot of great lessons that can be learned from this story. The author does it in a subtle way that isn't to obvious but easy to pick up. My favorite is "Be Who You Are" or "Life is Short", but my favorite one is " It isn't the number of friends you have on facebook, your true friends will stick with you no matter what". I would really recommend this book for your 10-13 year old daughters, sisters, cousin, or friend! If you like to do your Christmas shopping early keep you eye out for this book and use it as a stocking stuffer!

3.5 Stars mainly because it was a little young for me but 4 Stars for the age

www.bookbookie.blogspot.com ( )
  toryaslim822 | Aug 17, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,503,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible