Man in the Woods (2010)

by Scott Spencer

Paul Phillips, a carpenter living in upstate New York with Kate Ellis and her daughter, Ruby, commits a crime whose only witness was a mixed-breed dog. He fears getting away with the crime as much as he fears the discovery of his terrible secret.

I'm not sure about this novel. It held my interest until the very end, I'm not sure what the point was and it did have a point. The only character I cared about was Shep/Woody, the dog. Paul was a little too sensitive to commit the crime as far as I'm concerned and Kate, well she was just not very likeable and way too full of herself. The premise would make a good Christian book club selection purely, I believe. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
boasts it's about "true nature" of man. violence and love. what i'm seeing: a slightly neurotic woman wavering in and out of her faith, who happens to be in love with a man who is a beautiful carpenter. the carpenter also just so happens to be a murderer. oh and let's not forget the dog the man saves when he commits the murder. the dog's name? Shep. Right. Shep, as in shepard? Maybe. Anyone feel like you're getting hit over the head with something? Oh, no? Just me?
  Caitdub | Oct 24, 2013 |
A deliciously suspenseful novel. I was fully absorbed in each character's perspective. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 25, 2013 |
[Man in the Woods] by [[Scott Spencer]]

Briefly, the premise is a good man "loses it" and commits accidental manslaughter. The book examines the effects this has on him, his girlfriend, and their relationship. They have to examine their shadow sides and face what they, and humanity are capable of in the midst of their clear goodness. The characters are likable in that they are multi-faceted, admitting and exploring both their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know why, but I didn't connect well with the female character. I wish I could explain that. My appreciation for professional book reviewer is growing exponentially! I wish the author had taken the time to explore more deeply the question of whether or not it is always wise or advisable to turn yourself over to the U.S. criminal justice system. I'd like to have seen the characters struggle with that question a little more. I'm not big on our criminal justice system and think there are better ways of making amends and much better guidelines for ethics and morals. It is a topic I'm very interested in. For example, most would agree that it was the correct thing to do to hide people from Nazis. I would say that in a system that denies healthcare to ill and dying people it is the moral thing to do for example, to write a prescription in the name of someone who has insurance. Maybe in another book...........Highly recommended. ( )
  mkboylan | Mar 26, 2013 |

Paul Phillips, a carpenter living in upstate New York with Kate Ellis and her daughter, Ruby, commits a crime whose only witness was a mixed-breed dog, and fears getting away with the crime as much as he fears the discovery of his terrible secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,920,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible