Daddy-Long-Legs (1912)

by Jean Webster

Series: Daddy-Long-Legs (1)

Orphaned Judy Abbot relates her college adventures in letters to the mysterious benefactor that she calls Daddy-Long-Legs.
    Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: The sequel to Daddy Long Legs, featuring Sally's adventures at an orphan asylum
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both are classic stories about unusual young women who enjoy writing.
    Carney's House Party by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Partially set at Vassar. Also a story about college friendships.
    When Patty Went to College by Jean Webster (Bjace, HollyMS)
    Bjace: Patty is a fun but less responsible version of Judy Abbott. Both of these are college stories probably set at Vassar.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (HollyMS)
    Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher (charl08)
    charl08: Similar epistolary format, although with very different results!
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Near the same time period, same epistolary style, and similarly entertaining, but with magical elements

English (89)  Spanish (5)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (98)
A quick easy read.....charming, yet sappy.....this was recommended another lifetime ago by a local bookseller who could not believe i had never read it.....and i soon found it and added it to my shelf....but it was a local theater troupe that is about to present a dramatic version of this on stage that triggered my memory that i STILL had not read it. So, the deed is done. Slightly silly, slightly sweet, and unbelievably predictable......and that is the quality that limits me at 3.5. I'm always the last to figure things out in a book or movie......but this i saw a mile away. No regrets though. ( )
  jeffome | Mar 17, 2022 |
I saw so many rave reviews of this classic that I figured I should give it a try. Unfortunately I did not find it as wonderful as the majority of reviewers made it out to be. It's hard for me to pinpoint why - sure, she's a bit like Anne Shirley, but I enjoy Anne infinitely more. Age-difference between the love interests? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The fact that Judy/Jerusha calls her benefactor "Daddy" - sure, it's unconventional, but it wasn't meant to have the connotations that modern readers might inflict upon it. Honestly, I think the main reason that I only found this story "okay" was because it felt so one-sided. I like epistolary writing, but when the POV is so limited (as it is in this story), I feel that the secondary characters whose POVs aren't given lack so much depth. Perhaps if characters like Jervie were fleshed out more, then I might have enjoyed this novel more. As it is, it wasn't bad, but I won't be recommending it to any readers either. ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
I loved the very particular period school details in the book. The food and clothes and the steeplechase with a paper trail. It rushes forward into the neatly tied fairy tale ending. And yes it is profoundly unfeminist. I enjoyed it. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
Don't read the description it gives to much of the plot away, as it is more of a long "short story" than a novel with subplots. It is the life of a collegiate girl written in letters to the one paying her way.
Did I know exactly how the plot would end once a certain character was introduced? YES!!!
Was it boring afterwards? NO!

I felt like it was written by someone who didn't know their exact worldview and so the main character was all over the place, but as most modern humans I watch on YouTube seem to be the same I can't say I really minded.

I have a physical copy and I've been debating giving it to my best friend as she despises the titular creature. ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | Feb 18, 2021 |

Munsching, Annie vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simons, GabrielleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, H.R.S. van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To You
The first Wednesday in every month was a Perfectly Awful Day--a day to be awaited with dread, endured with courage and forgotten with haste.
This entry is for the book Daddy-Long-Legs, first published in 1912. Please do not combine with the 1919 Mary Pickford film, the 1931 Janet Gaynor/Warner Baxter film, or the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron film.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,913,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible