Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

Daddy Long Legs (original 1912; edition 2011)

by Jean Webster, Jean Webster (Illustrator), Ann M. Martin (Introduction)

Series: Daddy-Long-Legs (1)

Classic Literature. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:

At the age of eighteen, the orphan Jerusha Abbott is plucked from the institution and put through college by a mysterious benefactor. His only condition is that she write him a letter every month, to practice the writers' craft. Her colorful letters about college life are accompanied by drawings from Webster's own pen.

.… (more)
Member:anniegrace720
Title:Daddy Long Legs
Authors:Jean Webster
Other authors:Jean Webster (Illustrator), Ann M. Martin (Introduction)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 208 pages
Collections:Books I Read in '12, Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster (1912)

Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: The sequel to Daddy Long Legs, featuring Sally's adventures at an orphan asylum
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both are classic stories about unusual young women who enjoy writing.
    Carney's House Party by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Partially set at Vassar. Also a story about college friendships.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (HollyMS)
    When Patty Went to College by Jean Webster (Bjace, HollyMS)
    Bjace: Patty is a fun but less responsible version of Judy Abbott. Both of these are college stories probably set at Vassar.
    Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher (charl08)
    charl08: Similar epistolary format, although with very different results!
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Near the same time period, same epistolary style, and similarly entertaining, but with magical elements

English (97)  Spanish (4)  Arabic (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (106)
Book source ~ Purchased at Chirp

In the early 1900s, Jerusha “Judy” Abbot grew up in a home for orphans. When she is 18, she is sent to college by one of the trustees who chose to remain anonymous. As part of his agreement to pay for her tuition, room and board, she is to address him as Mr. Smith and write to him monthly when she received her allowance. She does so and this is a collection of her letters to him.

Ok, this is just as delightful as I remember it being when I read it as a kid several decades *cough*four to be precise*cough* ago. I actually only vaguely recalled it, but remembered that I enjoyed it, so when I saw it on sale at Chirp I jumped at the chance to revisit it. Also, the narrator is fantastic! ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 20, 2024 |
3.5 stars. A cute, short epistolary novel. ( )
  caaleros | May 17, 2024 |
This is a hot take because so many people love this book! I enjoyed this book overall, but I wish that it was written in a different style. The beginning of the novel is a third-person narration, following Judy at the orphanage and being allowed to go to college by a secret benefactor, she has to write to him every week and she will only ever receive responses from his secretary. The rest of the novel is epistolary, which works until the very end.

I am going to do my best to not spoil this part, but I wish that the revelation of Daddy-Long-Legs was changed back to third-person, I wish we got to see Judy realize who her benefactor is through this narration rather than in letters to him. I was a little disappointed, but it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  tayswift1477 | May 15, 2024 |
Read Teddy's 1912 edition. ( )
  libq | Jan 4, 2024 |
I'm not sure how I came across this classic epistolary book and I had never heard of the author Jean Webster before. Since it was an easy reading YA novel, I read a few chapters each evening. Even given odd title, which finally makes sense mid-way through the book, I actually liked this story. The main character is 'Judy' who lives in an orphanage. She catches the attention of a trustee who decides she has potential as a writer and pays her way to attend college. As part of the agreement, Judy must describe her progress in a letter to the benefactor, but no return correspondence will be offered and the benefactor's identity must remain secret. In some ways this story reminded me a little of Anne of Green Gables, not just due to the orphan theme but also because of the main character's habit of speaking her mind and sometimes later regretting the outburst. ( )
  Ann_R | Sep 2, 2023 |

Munsching, Annie vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simons, GabrielleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, H.R.S. van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To You
The first Wednesday in every month was a Perfectly Awful Day--a day to be awaited with dread, endured with courage and forgotten with haste.
This entry is for the book Daddy-Long-Legs, first published in 1912. Please do not combine with the 1919 Mary Pickford film, the 1931 Janet Gaynor/Warner Baxter film, or the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron film.

Classic Literature. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,414,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible