The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

The Blinding Knife

by Brent Weeks

Series: Lightbringer (2)

Nice one, Weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed this. ( )
  zvati | Jan 27, 2019 |
I think the writing might actually be improving, or maybe he's just getting more comfortable with the world he's building; whichever, I enjoyed this book even more than the first. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
I liked this book significantly more than the first one. The pacing picks up as the story gets deeper and we continue to follow all he different players. ( )
  SadieRuin | May 10, 2018 |
I'm not sure I'm going to able to write proper reviews of the individual books in this series -- this is one of those where the entire series likely needs to be reviewed.

Not really a cliffhanger ending to this one, but definitely not one to read as a standalone. Mostly everything and everyone just progresses. Oh, I really enjoyed the read because I'm invested in these people and this world. I wouldn't say it moved the series that far along though.

Yet, hard to review without spoilers. Let's just say I loved the book, the two brothers man-in-the-iron-mask got resolved, found out more about everyone, more about banes and wights, major reveal about the oldest Guile ... and yet and yet and yet clearly more to follow with nothing exactly resolved.

See? Not a very good review to basically say "loved it and found out more." ( )
  Spurts | Jul 18, 2017 |
As with The Black Prism, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The complexities of the magic and the characters keeps the reader hooked and with the truth being such a fluid thing, there is no telling what twists and turns are coming next.

The plot was more intricate than the first book – with the characters established there was no need to introduce the enemy but instead be thrown straight into the danger. With the over-arching war threatening everything, the smaller skirmishes happening on the way kept the book gripping and exciting, where no one was safe at any time.

There are more characters involved this time around. It works though. We’ve had enough of an introduction to the main ones that we can now accept new ones and how they have their part to play. The characters are all likeable and flawed – they are realistic in their shortcomings. Kip definitely develops the most as he journeys towards becoming a man, but doesn’t lose the humorous traits that make him such a good hero from the first book.

The world is phenomenal. It took me a while to get into the first book because of the world-building that needed to be done, but that wasn’t the case with this one. The world is bigger in The Blinding Knife, and it just opens up more of Weeks’ imagination and deepens our understanding of the magic that gives the characters their power.

As with the first book, the writing is also brilliant. I both laughed and gasped out loud in the middle of a commuter train, which proves the hold the book has on me. I would definitely recommend it if you are into high fantasy because it has all the elements it needs. At times, it does feel like there are too many plots happening in different directions when you aren’t sure who knows what about who, but on the whole, it is very hard to criticise this book.

Definitely a recommendation! ( )
  Lindz92 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He'd thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancée who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.

Gavin Guile thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancee who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 031607991X, 0316068144

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,772,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible