The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

by Brent Weeks

Series: Lightbringer (2)

Indeed! ( )
  amusing.nickname | May 13, 2014 |
'The Blinding Knife' is the second book in the 'Lightbringer' series. It picks up where the first book, 'The Black Prism', left off, and seamlessly continues the story of Kip and company. Unlike a lot of second books, this one doesn't use info-dumps to convey information from the first book, and it doesn't feel like it's stalling or just filling in the gap before the big finale. Just like the first book, it's full of action and great characters, and there is always something happening that is both exciting and relevant to the plot.

What I liked most about 'The Blinding Knife' is that the characters continue to develop in interesting ways. My favourite character from the first books was Kip, and this book focuses a lot more on him, continuing what is essentially his coming-of-age story. Despite being the son of the most powerful man in the world, Kip has to constantly overcome obstacles: he's fat, he's illegitimate, he has little experience with using his magical talents, and he has enemies who are constantly working to use him to undermine his father. Weeks writes Kip's character in a way that makes him likeable and strong and yet also very human, the end result being that we spend most of the book hissing at his enemies and cheering him on.

The other characters are just as interesting. 'The Blinding Knife' introduces us properly to the Prism's father, Andross Guile, who harbours a mysterious secret and whose schemes run much deeper than anyone suspected. His slave Grinwoody is almost as villainous as he is (despite only featuring as a very marginal character), and the main `antagonist' - The Colour Prince - is actually quite sympathetic, his reasons for what he does being quite logical. Other characters from the first book feature again, and undergo very interesting character arcs: the main one here is Liv, who is struggling with the conflict between what she has learned and what she had previously spent her whole life believing..

The writing is smooth and captivating, the action scenes are brilliant and well-written, the main characters are three-dimensional, and the unique magic system is becoming more and more interesting the more we learn about it.

I'm not a huge fan of cliff-hanger endings, and 'The Blinding Knife' leaves us on one hell of a cliff-hanger, but since the next book comes out next year I'm not too frustrated. I suppose. ( )
  Jawin | Mar 1, 2014 |
Sometimes I wish I had the education to analyze exactly why books like this are so much better than awesome. I mean I know what I like, what I love and what just wows me. What I can't always explain is why certain books take over my life, make me forget to eat, and make it hard to sleep because I keep going over scenes in my head. It is actually easier to review a merely good book, or one that is great but not perfect. However when a book simply blows me away I don't even know how to start explaining why. It feels like trying to explain a rainbow to someone who has never seen one.

This is one of those books.

This story has so much going for it. Meticulous worldbuilding, a detailed and unique magic system, sympathetic characters, twists and turns to keep you guessing, moral dilemmas which make you wonder what choice you would make, political power plays behind the scenes, hidden agendas, divided loyalties and the list goes on. Brent Weeks quite frankly scares me alittle. I imagine he gets up every morning and over breakfast thinks of nothing but "what horrible, nasty, cruel, demented thing can I do to my characters today" and then he goes and does it. Then for lunch he figures out how to get them out of today's dilemma in the most surprising, backhanded, conniving, sneaky but heroic way possible, then he does that too. I don't even want to know what he thinks about during dinner....

Let me sum things up for you. Ever rode a roller-coaster? Well experiencing this story is exactly like that... only better. You don't get queasy and it lasts a whole lot longer.

Read Full Review @ Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
  Mulluane | Oct 9, 2013 |
It's fascinating to see an author's evolution and growth happen right in front of your eyes, and I think this is the case with my experience with Brent Weeks. I recently read his Night Angel trilogy, and while I enjoyed it well enough, there was a distinct "raw-ness" to the writing which I'd picked up on, something I find isn't all that uncommon in an author's early works. Well, it definitely wasn't there anymore by the time I got around to reading this latest book in the Lightbringer series, The Blinding Knife.

Weeks' style has become very refined and polished, especially when it comes to his characters and storytelling. Many of the quirks that used to bug me about his dialogue have simply disappeared, and as a result I eventually came around to letting characters like Kip and Gavin grow on me a lot more, compared to how I vehemently disliked them in the first book, The Black Prism.

It also helped that these characters' plot threads are more interesting now that the series is progressing nicely, though there are a couple character perspectives that I still didn't quite care for. This book was very long, and inevitably, I found certain parts dragged on unnecessarily, which needless to say dampened my enthusiasm for the book quite a bit.

Still, I have to say I enjoyed this more than the previous book, not the least because now that the details behind the color drafting magic system has been established, there's a lot less info dumping and bogging down the story with background information. Based on chromaturgy, the magic featured in these books is incredibly imaginative, but I also found it was also hard to picture luxin structures in my head without making it look absolutely ridiculous. Thankfully, I found that this book focused more on the properties of the luxin itself and less on the appearance, which made it much less distracting.

I'm probably not as excited about this series as I am about some others, but that doesn't mean I'm not liking these books or that I'm not curious to find out what will happen next. The way this is going, I think the series is getting better, so I'm definitely going to continue reading. ( )
  stefferoo | Jul 17, 2013 |
A great follow-up to the Black Prism. Brent Weeks' world of color and power gets richer as his characters struggle with their inner demons and attempt to do what they believe is right. There were definitely some major twists I didn't expect, but I grew to really like a lot of the characters and I can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jul 13, 2013 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He'd thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancée who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.

Gavin Guile thought he had five years left--now he has less than one. With fifty thousand refugees, a bastard son, and an ex-fiancee who may have learned his darkest secret, Gavin has problems on every side. All magic in the world is running wild and threatens to destroy the Seven Satrapies. Worst of all, the old gods are being reborn, and their army of color wights is unstoppable. The only salvation may be the brother whose freedom and life Gavin stole sixteen years ago.… (more)

90 wanted3 pay3 pay

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 031607991X, 0316068144

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,621,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible