The Pomegranate Lady and Her Sons: Selected…

The Pomegranate Lady and Her Sons: Selected Stories

by Goli Taraghi

A starred recommendation from Kirkus Reviews and my longstanding interest in Middle Eastern, including Iranian, cultures and history served as powerful draws for me to read The Pomegranate Lady and Her Sons: Selected Stories by Goli Taraghi as soon as I could. Very fortunately, I won a Goodreads giveaway featuring this book as a prize. The collection satisfied my curiosity by providing me with more experience reading Iranian literature (if only in translation, thanks in this case to the efforts of Sara Khalili) and expanded my understanding of modern Iranian culture as it manifests in people's everyday lives.

Outside of the contextual information they provided, I don't expect these stories to prove particularly memorable even though my reading experience was very satisfying. They just didn't capture my imagination, as it were, which has more to do with my personality than any flaw or strength in the text itself. ( )
  kara.shamy | Jan 9, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039306333X, Hardcover)

“Filled with passion, curiosity, empathy, as well as mischief—definitely mischief.”—Azar Nafisi

Rich in characters both whimsical and deeply poignant, humorous and real, the stories of Goli Taraghi have made her one of the world’s most beloved contemporary writers from Iran. A best-selling author in her native country and widely anthologized in the United States and around the world, Taraghi's work is now made fully accessible to an English-speaking audience in this standout and long-awaited volume of selected stories.

Drawing on childhood experiences in Tehran during the reign of the Shah, her exile in Paris, and her subsequent visits to Tehran after the revolution, Taraghi develops characters and tales that linger in one’s mind. In the title story, a woman traveling from Tehran to Paris is obliged to help an old woman—the Pomegranate Lady—find her way to her fugitive sons in Sweden. In "The Gentleman Thief," a new kind of polite, apologetic thief emerges from the wreckage of the revolution. In "Encounter," a woman's world is upended when her former maid becomes her jailer. And in "The Flowers of Shiraz," a group of teenagers finally manages to coax a shy schoolmate out of her shell—only to once again encounter tragedy.

Reminiscent of the work of Nadine Gordimer and Eudora Welty, Taraghi's stories capture universal experiences of love, loss, alienation, and belonging—all with an irresistible sense of life’s absurdities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:00 -0400)

A collection of stories from the Iranian author includes a tale about a woman whose former maid becomes her jailer and a story about an old woman searching for her fugitive sons in Sweden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,791,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible