SantaThing sign up ends in 5:22 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Lonely on the Mountain (The Sacketts) by…

Lonely on the Mountain (The Sacketts) (original 1980; edition 1984)

by Louis L'Amour

Member:fuzzi
Title:Lonely on the Mountain (The Sacketts)
Authors:Louis L'Amour
Info:Bantam (1984), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Louis L'Amour, Westerns
Tags:Western

Lonely on the Mountain by Louis L'Amour (1980)

This story is another Tell Sackett story, along with his younger brothers Orrin and Tyrel, and their distant cousin Logan Sackett. Cap Roundtree is with them, along with some new faces.

Somehow, Logan got himself into trouble, and Tell and Co. need to bring in a whole herd of cattle to settle some sort of debt. However, as they're moving northwest across the U.S.-Canadian border and into British Columbia, they are constantly hammered with all sorts of trouble actively working to prevent them from delivering the herd.

Unfortunately, Louis forgets about some characters. Gilchrist and the Ox come grinding against Orrin and Brandy. It ends up in a fist fight between Orrin and the Ox, they leave the team, and that's it. Nothing more of either of them. Brandy too, just sort of disappears after that moment. Another character, Flemming, disappears when they reach a sign scratched onto a rock about Logan. Flemming also is never heard of again. Of course, it wouldn't be a Louis L'Amour story without the Good Guys getting the gold at the end, and without the story coming to a very abrupt halt.

However, this felt more like a "cowboy story" than many of the others he wrote. Cowboys pushing cattle across the country, battling Mother Nature, battling each other, and using their wits to survive. Louis has his own idioms, which makes for some delightful reading, which helps against the slow chapters.

This is the final book in the Sackett series. After reading the entire series, I'm ready for something new. Let's see how Talon & Chantry hold up in comparison. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
To Lou Satz
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished.

The Sacket Brothers didn't know what brand of trouble cousin Logan was in, but he needed beef cattle badly.
So with Tell Sackett ramrodding, Tyrel, Orrin and Cap Roundtree rode north - pushing 1100 head across the wide Dakota plains toward the mountains of far western Canada. Past Sioux, past Logan's treacherous enemies,s, through uncharted trails, the Sacketts drove on.
Because when you step on the toes of one Sackett, they all come running.
--------------

Shanty had a nice smile. "We've got you," he said. "There's no way you can get away."
I smiled back at him. "Then take me," I said. "I'm here."
Shanty hesitated. It worried him that I was not afraid. "You came," he admitted. "I never thought you'd make it."
"There are two more up on the mountain and by now they're beginning to miss me. They're getting lonely on the mountain, Shanty, and they'll come down."
"We will handle them."
"And there are more of us where we came from. Be smart, Shanty. Cash in your chips while you still can."
He laughed. "you know, Sackett, I like you. I'm going to hate to kill you."

In Lonely on the Mountain, Louis L’Amour’s solitary wandering Sackett brothers make a stand together—to save one of their own.

The rare letters Tell Sackett received always had trouble inside. And the terse note from his cousin Logan is no exception. Logan faces starvation or a hanging if Tell can’t drive a herd of cattle from Kansas to British Columbia before winter. To get to Logan, he must brave prairie fires, buffalo stampedes, and Sioux war parties. But worse trouble waits, for a mysterious enemy shadows Sackett’s every move across the Dakotas and the Canadian Rockies. Tell Sackett has never abandoned another Sackett in need. He will bring aid to Logan—or die trying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:20 -0400)

To help a cousin in need, the Sackett brothers drive 1,100 head of cattle across the wide Dakota plains toward Canada, weathering adversity along the way.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,645,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible