Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb

Batman: Dark Victory (edition 2002)

by Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale

Info:DC Comics (2002), Paperback, 392 pages
Collections:Graphic Novel, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:2013

Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb (Author)

I think I actually liked this even a little better than The Long Halloween. Enjoyable art and a twist that I somehow didn't see coming (call me foolish). If you liked The Long Halloween, pick this up as well. ( )
  Brian.Gunderson | Nov 16, 2013 |
A good story thats actually about the origin of Robin. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 20, 2013 |
I thought long and hard before giving two stars to this one. It's possible that I should have given it three.

It was long, and a decent enough read. In many ways it resembles Frank Miller's acclaimed [b:Batman: Year One|59980|Batman Year One|Frank Miller|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170537597s/59980.jpg|2501570] miniseries. Much of the art closely resembles David Mazzucchelli's subdued, semi-realistic and oddly crumpled-looking style in Year One. That's not a style I particularly like, but I don't hate it either.

Many of the secondary characters from Year One appear in Dark Victory. But the storytelling style diverges more from Miller's, particularly in the latter half of the book.

In fact, that's the reason I ended up giving Dark Victory only two stars; it starts well, with a promising mystery that seems as if it might be a mystery - that is, that it might be a mystery which the reader could actually have a chance to figure out, rather than simply read and wait for a deus ex machina. The characters are interesting. But as the book progresses, it goes downhill.

I don't like the way that the various supervillains are drawn, for one thing. Semi-realism goes out the window for them, and the effect doesn't work. Two-Face looks as if he's half Mafioso, and half Red Skull - but with a strange-looking nose that manages to be both weirdly long and pug at the same time (and not just on one side, which might make sense, but on both). The Joker is drawn so unrealistically that he might as well be from another universe; his head is twice the size of anyone else's, and half of his face is giant teeth. Again, the effect doesn't work. Robin looks as if he's drifting towards an anime look, of the typical "cute/frightened little kid with a tiny mouth" type.

The writing goes downhill even faster than the art. A major plotline involving betrayal is resolved in an unsatisfying, off-hand manner. The mystery, which began with such promise, sputters out with a whimper; no matter how I try to connect the interesting clues to the resolution, I can't make sense of it. Batman makes more stupid mistakes than he should, throughout; this is NOT a character who should often miss the obvious, and it's annoying when an author plays that tired old card to extend the story.

The addition of Robin to the story doesn't work at all. This is the "dark" Batman, or purports to be, and adding a cutesy/spunky sidekick to that character is a tricky proposition at best. I don't consider Frank Miller to be infallible, but at least he handled the same issue far more skillfully in [b:Batman: The Dark Knight Returns|59960|Batman The Dark Knight Returns|Frank Miller|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5169ZV5MBVL._SL75_.jpg|1104159]. In this book, Robin is just annoying. I can see what the author was going for, an attempt to make the sidekick issue work with the "dark lone avenger" theme, but he simply fails to carry it off successfully.

I think I might have given this book three stars if it hadn't resembled a far superior work so closely in the beginning, and then failed so completely to fulfil its promise. ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
Goodness, this was longer than I'd expected. Clocking in at nearly 400 pages, we manage to see nearly every Batman villain (maybe it was all of them, come to think of it) following a break-out from Arkham. And yet somehow that's not the thrust of the story. It somehow manages to be more political in some ways, more a mystery than some of the other Batman titles.

I think this might be getting 4 stars because it's another Loeb/Sale book. Also because anything I couldn't follow is being blamed on the late hour and my sleepiness. But I did enjoy this--more than Haunted Knight, though less than The Long Halloween. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
It obviously steals a lot from Long Halloween, but the Hangman story is still pretty good, especially in the way it manages to incorporate Robin into the story, making him believably useful. It does seem to leave a lot unanswered, though, and I can't be the only one who thought Gilda Dent should have returned in some fashion. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |

Loeb, JephAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sale, TimIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

As Batman hunts the cop killer known as Hangman, he requires the help of newly-appointed Commissioner Gordon and a young orphan named Dick Gray to wade through an array of suspects including Two-Face, Joker, and Catwoman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible