Interior Freedom by Jacques Philippe

Interior Freedom (2002)

by Jacques Philippe

Every once in a while, a book comes along that tells you exactly what you need to hear in that moment. Interior Freedom was one of those books for me. I was feeling a lot of stress and anxiety for various reasons, and this book spoke pretty directly to my state of mind at the time. It's written from a Christian (specifically Catholic) perspective, and I don't think the solutions it offers would be useful for non-Christians. But it really gave me a new perspective on faith in particular: if I really believe in an almighty and all-loving God (as Christians profess to do), then I must have absolute trust in his love for me and his ability to bring good out of even the toughest situations. Definitely recommended for Christians of all denominations, especially those who are feeling weighed down by circumstances in their lives.
1 vote christina_reads | Jun 1, 2016 |
Interior Freedom is a short, but deeply satisfying volume about finding interior freedom. Mostly, it's about accepting suffering and coming to love yourself, because God loves you no matter how inadequate you might feel about yourself. This means that you are worth much more than you think you are. Philippe is focused on helping his readers navigate the hardships and realities of the modern world. His two great sources of inspiration here are Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, who needs no introduction, and Etty Hillesum, a young Dutch Jewish woman who was killed in Auschwitz in 1943. In order to achieve true freedom, you have to grow in faith, hope, and love and begin to put God first. While not always easy, these steps always provide great rewards to those who persevere. In short, it's the perfect work for those struggling through hard times or those looking to increase in spiritual growth and closeness to God. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote inge87 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This book in 5 chapters, 134 pages delves into the areas that keep us from being fully and completely free in this life, and in sharing in God's divine friendship. There are many books on freedom. However Jacques Philippe shows an intricate understanding of the human side - the aspects of our nature that block true freedom. He is compassionate in offering ways of working through them. He shows a realism about the human challenges of living out the Christian faith in the world today. He supports his thesis with real-life examples. He speaks of the importance of Faith, Hope and Love, and of having a willingness to be impoverished of the things that displace God from being most central in our lives. "Blessed are the Poor in Spirit" is mentioned often as the paradox to attaining a rich internal freedom. ( )
  allenkeith | Jun 7, 2015 |
From Scepter website:
Synopsis
Experiencing the freedom of the children of God
Interior Freedom leads one to discover that even in the most unfavorable outward circumstances we possess within ourselves a space of freedom that nobody can take away, because God is its source and guarantee. Without this discovery we will always be restricted in some way and will never taste true happiness.

Author Jacques Philippe develops a simple but important theme: we gain possession of our interior freedom in exact proportion to our growth in faith, hope, and love. He explains that the dynamism between these three theological virtues is the heart of the spiritual life, and he underlines the key role of the virtue of hope in our inner growth. Written in a simple and inviting style, Interior Freedom seeks to liberate the heart and mind to live the true freedom to which God calls each one.

Click here to view Fr. Jacques Philippe's website (www.frjacquesphilippe.com).
  brothersofpeace | Jul 29, 2013 |

Jacques Philippeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scott, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is about a basic theme of Christian life: interior freedom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,688,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible