Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions…

Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living (edition 1999)

by Annie Berthold-Bond

Member:ema-adama
Title:Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
Authors:Annie Berthold-Bond
Info:Three Rivers Press (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 352 pages

Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living by Annie Berthold-Bond

This is one of my favorite books on homemade products and I still reference it on a weekly basis. The introductions to different ingredients (like essential oils, herbs, etc) & methods (soap making, etc) are very thorough and personal stories by the author are sprinkled throughout. The recipes for house cleaners and body scrubs, moisturizers, cleansers, and toners are my favorites that I still use today! :D ( )
  kirako | Oct 16, 2015 |
This is an excellent guide for a less toxic living approach. It provides you with 868 easy to make natural and chemical free formulas for Household Cleaners, Skin & Hair Care, Lawn and Garden Care, Paint, Art Projects and so much more. It's a great resource to have around. I really liked how most of the recipes only call for a couple of ingredients and are really easy to make. And best of all they work too. One of my favorites is the Aloe Vera Moisturizer with Avocado Oil. It's the only Moisturizer I still use for my face and it works great!

Highly recommend this book! ( )
  Lilac_Lily01 | Feb 26, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0609803255, Paperback)

These days, more and more people are saying no to "better living through chemistry" and yes to a lifestyle that is less toxic and more environmentally friendly. This trend toward a more natural lifestyle has become something of a crusade for Annie Berthold-Bond, author of Better Basics for the Home. After developing hypersensitivity to even very low concentrations of chemicals, Berthold-Bond was forced to rid her life of as many toxins as possible. "It wasn't until I had to be away from chemicals that I began to realize how many we lived with. The extent of the contamination is startling--from hair spray and floor wax to dandelion killers and plastic shower curtains and other products that line our hardware stores and supermarket shelves."

This book represents the culmination of her search for a more sustainable lifestyle. Taking her cue from an earlier time, Berthold-Bond, former editor in chief of Green Alternatives for Health and Environment, offers more than 800 simple and practical alternatives to common household toxins, covering everything from skin care to gardening. And the good news is that adopting her suggestions and formulas isn't hard at all. "Mixing up face creams or wood stain isn't much different than cleaning the windows with vinegar, soap, and water instead of using Brand Name X, or making a cake with flour, eggs and milk instead of buying a mix," see asserts. "With a few simple staples we can clean our houses, wash our hair, rid the dog's bed of fleas, and do many other things as well." If you have your doubts, here is her formula for metal polish:

3 teaspoons salt, 1 tablespoon flour, and enough white distilled vinegar to make a paste. Scoop the paste onto a clean sponge, and polish the metal clean. Rinse with hot water and buff dry.

Sure, these days it's literally impossible to lead a life that is completely toxin-free. But you can significantly reduce your exposure, and picking up a copy Better Basics for the Home is a great way to get started.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,101,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible