Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney

Llama Llama Red Pajama (2005)

by Anna Dewdney

3,1951352,590 (4.16)26
    The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems by Mary Ann Hoberman (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Besides the obvious title similarities, both books have fun rhymes for kids to read.

Anna Dewdney does a great job of teaching children to not to be afraid of the dark and to be patient in this children's book. She chooses to highlight the Llama's whiny-ness and to show that the mother wont reward his behavior but that she is there for him even when she is not standing in the exact same room. She teaches these early childhood lessons by using rhyming schemes but by also relating the Llama to many familiar childhood fears that the reader may be enduring. ( )
  Eward8 | Mar 19, 2019 |
This book is a great bedtime book for a young one. There is rhyme throughout the book so it is easy and fun to read and follow. The llama llama red pajama is going to bed and it shows his emotion and uneasiness about sleeping without his mama llama. ( )
  JennySkvarna | Dec 3, 2018 |
Even though this is a children's board book, I am including it in my adult shelf. Because I think this book might have saved my bacon.

My two-year-old has not been sleeping well. She fights off sleep at bedtime, asking for "more song" and "mama sleeps too" and "mama sit," and no matter that I do what she asks, she immediately wants the opposite. And heaven help me if I just *leave the room*. But when a different family member takes the point on naptime or bedtime, she lays down quietly and falls asleep on her own. It was pretty clear to me that it was something about Mama -- either her knowledge that if Mama said it, it would be so, and she's in a period of exercising her independence, or an anxiety over Mama being "not right here." The fraught bedtime translates in to a fraught night. Waking up after just a couple hours, and spending a couple hours wanting to redo the bedtime routine. Lots of tears.

Llama Llama Red Pajama is the story of Baby Llama, in his red pajamas, who reads a story with his Mama Llama....you get the idea. Mama Llama goes downstairs to get a cup of water for Baby, and is distracted by dishes and a phone call. Baby Llama freaks out that Mama Llama is GONE. Mama Llama rushes back in a frenzy and reassures Baby Llama that "Mama Llama's always near, even if she's not *right here*."

Girl Child was entranced by this book. Her favorite page, of course, is the one where Mama Llama comes back. As Child and Daddy read this story together at bedtime (after I'd already read it twice with her), I deliberately went in and out of her room as much as possible sorting laundry and picking up toys to illustrate that Mama always comes back when she leaves. And then the bedtime routine began.

She climbed in bed. We sang one bedtime song. She asked for another. I said I was going to go sit with Daddy for five minutes and if she was awake when I came back, we'd sing another song. She nodded. I went, set a timer, and then returned. She was awake, so we sang a song. She asked for another and I said I'd be back in five minutes. She nodded. I went and set the timer again. After five minutes, I went in and rubbed her back. I don't know if she was awake or asleep. I suspect awake. But she didn't make a peep and she slept straight through til 6:30 this morning. We are going to try for a repeat of this miracle tonight. Our first solid night of sleep in OVER TWO WEEKS! ( )
1 vote mrsmarch | Nov 28, 2018 |
This is a book about a little boy llama that is going to bed but gets scared of several things therefore he calls for his Mama. ( )
  Danielle_Rojas | Nov 26, 2018 |
For my own little llamas, with thanks to Tracy, Denise, and Deborah.
Llama llama

red pajama

reads a story

with his mama.
Mama LLama is coming yet. Baby llama starts to fret.

This is another great story in the Anna Dewdney’s series. I think this would be a good story to have the children do some role playing. For example, you have the children act out the kinds of things that Llama did as he became more impatient and frustrated while he waited for his mama. You can also ask the children what he could have done to help himself wait more patiently for his mama. Introduce the word emotions and what the word means, and have the children help describe some of the emotions. Another activity could be to have the children draw a picture of themselves displaying a emotion and the children can dictate about the emotion in the picture and the teacher can write it down.

Llama, Llama red pajama

waiting, waiting for his mama.

Mama isn't coming yet.

Baby Llama starts to fret.

In this infectious rhyming read-aloud, Baby Llama turns bedtime into an all-out llama drama! Tucked into bed by his mama, Baby Llama immediately starts worrying when she goes downstairs, and his soft whimpers turn to hollers when she doesn't come right back. But just in time, Mama returns to set things right. Children will relate to Baby Llama's need for comfort, as much as parents will appreciate Mama Llama's reassuring message.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

At bedtime, a little llama worries after his mother puts him to bed and goes downstairs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible