The One and Only Marigold by Florence Parry…

The One and Only Marigold

by Florence Parry Heide

This is an illustrated picture book about a precocious young girl named Marigold. In the first story, Marigold buys a coat that is too small. In the second story, she makes lists and takes her friend Maxine off her friends list. In the third story, Marigold tricks her ex friend Maxine into buying garbage. In the fourth story, Marigold wears her old coat and hat to school. Maxine has new clothes, yet she goes home to change so she can wear old clothes too.

The book is well written and illustrated. I did not like this book. I don't think that Marigold is a likable person, and she seems to get her way through tantrums and bad behavior. She is mean to her friends and mother. The book even admits that Marigold and her mother find each other "unreasonable and stubborn." I know that children can be difficult, but usually books that show bad behavior counterbalances with a bit of loving or positive behavior at the end. The only person who acts positively is Maxine, who is ridiculed and tricked. I don't think I would use this book with children. I think it reinforces the "Queen Bees and Wanna Bees" mentality. ( )
  cassielanzas | Jun 1, 2012 |
This book is very sweet and has a sweet message. The illustrations in this book are colorful and fun. I think all children would love this book.
  katie.flanigan | Dec 6, 2010 |
This is a cute book with clever writing. It contains two stories that are combined into one that shows the precocious and stubborn qualities that Marigold holds.
  juliabaird1 | Dec 5, 2010 |
Marigold is a precocious little monkey. Going along to the beat of her own drummer (often to the exasperation of her friends and family). The artwork is plenty adequate, but the writing steals the show. I enjoy the reoccurring themes carried over the different stories. Especially the delayed punch line on how she bugs Maxine.
  jasongiles | Nov 1, 2010 |
Marigold just reminds me of how I used to be during childhood. It's funny how I used to always tried to convince my mom that I needed something when I really didn't or bossing my friends around.
  lnaeole | Jun 6, 2010 |

Meet Marigold! From renowned author Florence Parry Heide comes a picture book about one clever, complicated—and hilarious—little girl. Follow Marigold as she buys a new coat (don’t worry, she still wears the old one to bed. She’s a very loyal person), plays a great trick (involving a Special Surprise Treasure Stand and worms), and much more. Along the way you'll meet Marigold’s best friend—her purple coat—and her next best friend—Maxine.

Simply and with inimitable humor, a legendary picture book writer and inventive illustrator create an original character that all children will laugh over . . . and will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:35 -0400)

Relates the misadventures of Marigold, who does not agree with anyone, as she shops with her mother for a coat, becomes interested in a new hobby, finds a way to "bug" her best friend, Maxine, and imaginatively copes with finding the right outfit for the first day of school.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,483,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible