I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A…

I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors,…

by Sharon Eliza Nichols

1207100,400 (3.16)6

So, here's the thing: this is a cute, funny compilation of pictorial examples of bad grammar from around the world. I laughed out loud out more than a few of them.

But I found a grammar error in one of the photo captions. On page 96 ("Exhibits like sightseeing as much everyone else.").

Oops. ( )
1 vote murderbydeath | Nov 12, 2016 |
Hilarious. Utterly. Completely. Hilarious.

This is a book of pictures, made and taken and published by a facebook community, that documents all sorts of signs from all over the world and English errors people have found. Then they add a caption at the bottom. I spent so much of this one laughing out loud.

It's become the new living room table book.

Everyone seems to love it who's noticed it, too. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
I didn't like this one very much - a book full of photographs showing errors in public signs, which by itself would be amusing to a degree. But the author decided to explain the error in each sign - DUH, I don't need the explanation and why would anyone who would buy a title like this? Now, if it was in the educational section, it would be appropriate, but not for this book. ( )
  LisaMorr | Jan 12, 2013 |
This collection of road signs, restaurant notices and other postings is humorous and yet disturbing to those of us who value the correct usage of the English language. Unfortunately, those who need to read it won't be interested, leaving those of us who read it even more frustrated. ( )
  pdebolt | Jan 8, 2013 |
This looked at first glance to be amusing, and I "read" through it (i.e. looked at pictures to find the mistake and read the author's sentence complaint) in about 30 minutes. But in reality it was rather boring. It felt like every picture the author was complaining about a misplaced or absent apostrophe. Granted, it's not *that* hard to get apostrophes right, but it's a somewhat standard error, and there's only so many times you can see another sign that mistakes 'its' for 'it's' before it loses its hilarity.

There were some amusing bloopers - such as 'YEILD' written in official large lettering on a road, a 'DONT'T DRINK AND DRIVE' road sign, or a typo on an immigration form, but overall it just wasn't as exciting as it could've been with some more variety.

2.5/5 stars
Review also posted on my blog at http://ojchase.blogspot.com/2012/09/i-judge-you-when-you-use-poor-grammar.html. ( )
  ojchase | Sep 13, 2012 |

Correct grammar and proper spelling can be a challenge, and their absence can be a source of gleeful humor to everyone but the victim of a bad grammar attack. How do you react to sandwich boards, road signs, laminated instructions, and other written missives that are just not exactly what their creator meant? If you’ve ever (gently) judged anyone else for their linguistic failures, if you find yourself guffawing about the frequent confusion between “incontinence” and “inconvenience,” if you’ve ever been tempted to whip out your marker to add in or cross out apostrophes, and if you've refused to answer e-mails in which “your” and “you’re” are used interchangeably, this book is for you. With pictures culled from the Facebook group by the same name, I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar is a hilarious and eye-opening tour through restaurants and shops, through parking lots and along winding roads, and around the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:39 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,778,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible