The Wonky Donkey by Craig Smith

The Wonky Donkey

by Craig Smith

Other authors: Katz Cowley (Illustrator)

This book is good and hard to read without laughing!!! ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
The Wonky Donkey is a comedic picturebook for ages 3-6 roughly. There is a song accompanying the book that can be found on Spotify, Youtube, and likely more. I personally love this picturebook due to the illustrations and writing. I received this as a Christmas gift and I read it to my 5yr old cousin. He loved it! When I read it to his younger brother, a 3yr old, who does not like books, he was very engaged. The repetition encourages this engagement and reading along. Children are also able to read along with the song if adults aren't able to read with them. The song features many hee-haws, as does the book. This picturebook would make a great teacher read aloud. By the end of the book, you end up with a spunky, hanky-panky, cranky, stinky, dinky, lanky, honky-tonky, winky wonky donkey! ( )
  msheiv1 | Feb 11, 2019 |
This book is a cumulative rhyme about meeting a donkey with a variety of characteristics including three legs, one eye, a love of country music, a sense of style, etc. Each time a new thing is introduced about his personality, a new adjective is added to his description, increasing the number of rhymes used.

This book is from a British author and word meanings can differ between American English and British English, but it felt a bit insensitive to call a donkey "wonky" because he only has three legs. I worry about children with disabilities seeing that and thinking others are mocking them. The cumulative rhyme format doesn't do a whole lot for me when there's no actual story. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 6, 2019 |
This book, read by a Scottish grandma to her grandchild, was a hoot on Facebook. She couldn't help but laugh hysterically as she read it to the baby. Little did I know at the time that it was not only the silly, rhyming words about a donkey with three legs and one eye that set the grandma into the giggles but also the illustrations by Katz Cowley that bring it home.
I've got to say, though, it's rather sad to be laughing at this disabled donkey who has some issues but the bright side is those issues are not keeping him down and he's enjoying life non-the-less. ( )
  Carmenere | Dec 6, 2018 |

Craig Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cowley, KatzIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my mum, and all the people who have helped me over the years: family, friends and mentors. Thank you. Craig Smith
To my precious Mum, Dad and aunt Wren... your love, support and inspiration fuels my creative journey and makes all of me smile and sing. With big-fat gratitude for keeping me tuned to the magic and humour of life. - Katz Cowley
I was walking down the road and I saw a donkey, Hee Haw!

I was walking down the road and I saw… a donkey – hee haw! And he only had three legs! He was a wonky donkey.
An award-winning song with hilarious illustrations that will have you laughing out loud.

While walking down the road, the narrator sees a donkey that he shares more about as the story progresses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible