Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of…

Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales (2011)

by Tamora Pierce

English (28)  Danish (1)  All languages (29)
I enjoyed this brief trip back to Tortall and the other worlds of Pierce's imagination. My favorite story of the lot was probably "Nawat" -- which is interesting, as the Trickster duology is one of my less-favorite series by Peirce. I also enjoyed "Lost" and "Mimic." I didn't care as much for the last two stories in the book, both of which were set in our world, so maybe that was the problem. While I felt that the general level of quality was consistent, I did notice that four or five of the stories share the same basic plot: a young woman with skills (fighting, magic, mathematics, etc.) that set her apart from the rest of the people in her village/family faces obstacles and is rewarded by finding a teacher who can take her away and help her develop her skills. It's a great plot, and in a few cases I would be interested in reading more about those characters -- but the similarities were a bit glaring. All in all, though, an enjoyable read which I would recommend to fans of the author's full-length fiction. ( )
  foggidawn | May 30, 2015 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my editors for these stories - Bruce Coville, Jack Dann, Gardner Dozois, David Fickling, Douglas Hill, R. Schuyler Hooke, Mallory Loehr, Ron McCutchan, Sharyn November, Terry Ofner, M. Jerry Weiss, and Helen S. Weiss - with my deepest thanks for these chances to expand and my apologies for the many bad words I said while trying to do so.
My story began as my mother carried me in her belly to the great Nawolu trade fair.

Collected here for the first time are all of the tales from the land of Tortall, featuring both previously unknown characters as well as old friends. Filling some gaps of time and interest, these stories, some of which have been published before, will lead Tammy's fans, and new readers into one of the most intricately constructed worlds of modern fantasy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

"Collected here are six wondrous shorter tales from the land of Tortall, featuring previously unknown characters as well as old friends"--Front jacket flap.

170 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible