dismiss

Carpe Jugulum (1998)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Witches (6), Discworld (23)

7,99785737 (4)159
A beautiful hardback edition of the classic Discworld novel In this and indeed other lives there are givers and takers. It's safe to say that vampires are very much in the latter camp. They don't have much time for the givers of this world - except perhaps mealtimes - and even less for priests. Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be a priest. Lancre's newest residents are a thoroughly modern, sophisticated vampire family. They've got style and fancy waistcoats. They're out of the casket and want a bite of the future. But they haven't met the neighbours yet- between them and Lancre stand Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. And Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies. And young Agnes, although she is really in two minds about everything. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.… (more)

English (81)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (85)
On this re-read, I'm going to revise my rating a star higher.

Why? Because I really enjoyed it. :)

Really, what else can anyone say about reading Pratchett? That they love the quips and the little funny wisdoms and the bloody-minded humor? Well, sure, all of that is grand, but pitting Granny against vampyres that have a bit of Weatherwax wisdom is a sure-fire way to make the sparks fly. And even mythological birds are still birds. :)

Stand-out scenes for me are the ones where Nanny Ogg becomes the "other" witch and I absolutely loved her flirtations with Igor. :) Oh, and Oats. Oats and Granny were so CUTE together. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I'm on the verge of a reading slump and just can't find anything that interests me.

I'm turning to my old familiar stand-by: short stories. I hope it works.

DNF-No Rating.
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
I found this one a bit of a slow starter. Ends well with Pratchett's usual cosy feelings. 3.5 star. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Pratchett’s sixth book about the witches of Lancre. The king invites vampires to attend his daughter’s naming and it all goes wrong (but not in quite the way the vampires had ultimately intended).

At times, I wasn’t sure about this book -- I can be uncomfortable with, and sometimes even prefer to avoid, both vampires and satire of religion, depending on how it’s all handled. But, a few small details and moments aside, I enjoyed this. After Magrat’s absence in Maskerade -- and the way her story had ended in Lords and Ladies -- I was glad she got to renegotiate her position as one of Lancre’s witches.

I would happily keep reading more of the same, but this is the end of the line. (I have put a hold on Mort.)

“Granny was certainly not telling the truth,” said Agnes.
“Of course she wasn’t, she never does,” said Magrat. “She expects you to work it out for yourself.”
  Herenya | Jun 18, 2019 |
Granny Weatherwax cemented herself as my favorite Discworld character with this book. Such a strong, fantastic character. ( )
  Terrencee | May 8, 2019 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coates, EricDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galian, Carl D.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the shredded black clouds a fire moved like a dying star, falling back to earth - the earth, that is, of the Discworld - but unlike any star had ever done before, it sometimes managed to steer its fall, sometimes rising, sometimes twisting, but inevitably heading down.

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be priest. He thought he’d come to Lancre for a simple ceremony. Now he’s caught up in a war between vampires and witches.

There’s Young Agnes, who is really in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble.

And the vampires are intelligent. They’ve got style and fancy waistcoats. They’re out of the casket and want a bite of the future. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,054,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible