The Dark at the End by F. Paul Wilson

Well, I didn't see some of that coming. I should have, but I didn't. I still feel like a lot of the stuff from Jack's past is being shoehorned into the present. I mean, considering all the weird shit that supposedly happened to Jack as a kid, I'm surprised he was so resistant to the weirdness he encountered as an adult. Whatevs. We're almost done now. Time to read about the end of the world... ( )
  gypsycab79 | Jun 25, 2013 |
Can't say much without spoilers, but IMO there were too many improbabilities (including massive stupidity of one or two of the characters, again) just to bring us to the end the way it was pre-conceived. I can't wait to read the new Nightworld, though. The description reminds me of the ending of Angel TV show and the subsequent comic, where LA gets sent to Hell- that was great stuff. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
This is the last Repairman Jack book. I hesitate to call it a novel, since for the past six or seven books, the RJ saga resembles less a series of novels and more a continuing saga, each book ending in a cliffhanger. This book ends in a cliffhanger, too, and the saga will dovetail into Wilson's "Adversary Cycle". The final book of the Adversary Cycle came out in 1992, but a new revision of it will be coming out in a few months, and will cap the storylines.

Repaiman Jack is a resourceful guy who lives off the grid: no last name, no social security number, no legal existence. He's kind of a freelance vigilante, helping out people who are being conned or threatened. Often in his adventures, he takes on paranormal threats, all related to "The Otherness", an interdimensional, Lovecraftian wellspring of horror that wants to take over our dimension. The Otherness is inimical to life as we know it. Jack gradually comes to realize that he's being groomed as Earth's champion against The Otherness. So what starts out as a more earthbound story about a kickass vigilante becomes a high stakes existential horror/adventure story.

The books in the series run the gamut from excellent to so-so, but the series as a whole is very much worth reading, and this volume is a page turner of nail-biting suspense. My advice? Start with "The Tomb" and move on from there. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
The last Repairman Jack book. It is like saying goodbye to an old friend. 15 books is quite an investment between the author and the reader. True, Jack will make an appearance in next years finale to the Adversary Cycle (NightWorld) and will also appear in some prequels. Was it a fitting finish? Hard to say. I am still trying to decide. There were parts I liked as well as some I didn't. I guess I can say that about the whole series. Especially the last several books, some of which almost seemed like throwaways, as the story slowly moved along with little actually happening. Maybe having originally written the Adversary Cycle years ago and now having to merge the Repairman Jack books into the Secret History of the World mythology was not the best idea? I did not read the Adversary books as written originally except for the first two so don't know how many changes there are between them and the revised versions. I will be reading the heavily revised Nightworld though to see how the story finally does end. What I wonder though is it because I truly want to know or is it that after 15 books in this series and 4 others from the Adversary Cycle (the Tomb is in both series so I only counted it once) I just want closure without caring how it actually ends? Only time will tell. ( )
  JJbooklvr | Oct 30, 2011 |
Billed as the last Repairman Jack book, this isn't really, not quite. (And not just because there are prequels in the works.) It does draw together the different, ongoing threads, but it's not a conclusion.

Not entirely satisfying. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Oct 21, 2011 |
"Sir!" the cabbie said in heavily accented English as Jack slammed the taxi door shut behind him.

Bound by his promise to Glaeken, Jack has refrained from making any direct moves against Rasalom. But things have changed so there's nothing holding Jack in check any longer. Other changes are occurring as well. Jack is healing at an accelerated rate--much like Glaeken did when he was immortal. This can only mean that Glaeken's time is almost up and when he dies, Jack takes his place. Rasalom continues to plot against the Lady. Twice she has died and returned; a third time and she will be gone, leaving a clear path for the Otherness to infiltrate this reality. But Ernst Drexler, formerly Rasalom's go-to guy for logistical support, fears he will be left out in the cold when the Change comes. He forms an uneasy alliance with Jack, who is preparing to face their old enemy. Meanwhile, Dawn Pickering is searching for her supposedly dead baby. The trail leads her to a mansion in a remote Long Island coastal town, where she discovers a truth she could have never imagined. Now the stage is set for Jack's massive assault on Rasalom. Jack knows he's got just one shot. But it's not just a matter of taking out Rasalom: he also must safely retrieve Dawn's child and minimize collateral damage. So, he comes up with a foolproof plan. But fools are always with us.

"Bound by his promise to Glaeken, Jack has refrained from making any direct moves against Rasalom. But things have changed so there's nothing holding Jack in check any longer. Other changes are occurring as well. Jack is healing at an accelerated rate--much like Glaeken did when he was immortal. This can only mean that Glaeken's time is almost up and when he dies, Jack takes his place. Rasalom continues to plot against the Lady. Twice she has died and returned; a third time and she will be gone, leaving a clear path for the Otherness to infiltrate this reality. But Ernst Drexler, formerly Rasalom's go-to guy for logistical support, fears he will be left out in the cold when the Change comes. He forms an uneasy alliance with Jack, who is preparing to face their old enemy. Meanwhile, Dawn Pickering is searching for her supposedly dead baby. The trail leads her to a mansion in a remote Long Island coastal town, where she discovers a truth she could have never imagined. Now the stage is set for Jack's massive assault on Rasalom. Jack knows he's got just one shot. But it's not just a matter of taking out Rasalom: he also must safely retrieve Dawn's child and minimize collateral damage. So, he comes up with a foolproof plan"--From publisher.… (more)

79 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,492,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible