The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

The Eleventh Plague

by Jeff Hirsch

497None20,529 (3.41)28

The Earth is destroyed after the war. Steven, his father and Grandfather are making a living at scavenging and selling what they can find. Soon Steve is on his own after his Grandfather dies and his father has fallen into a river hitting his head and becoming unconscious. What will become of Steven now? ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 29, 2014 |
No you die hard fans of the zombie apocalypse, this is not that kind of book. The eleventh plague is something much more, a journey and experience into raw human emotion and how our species reacts when we go from living, to surviving. Showing that when we no longer become to the top of the food chain, we react in not the most calmest of ways. As many of my other reviews, just a heads up, this is a mature book, so don't expect a happy go lucky story and zany characters.

It's been a while since I actually read this book, and for good reason. It's not the easiest of books to explain without getting offtrack. The story is the stereotypical "humans being infected by unknown virus", but manages to stand out for not being based around zombies, but rather the possibility of a real virus that could kill humans. The story is dark, as well as enthralling. It's dark mood is clearly shown at the beginning of the book, and makes no attempts to hide it. The characters are much better then the story and setting, as they range from main hero, to main badass female, to supportive role models, to that one annoying friend we all enjoy reading about. They develop over the course of the book, and experience the horrors of the world. As this being a mature and dark book, characters will die off so don't try to have optimistic thoughts while reading, because they will be crushed...Several times.

The Eleventh Plague is one of the many popular apocalypse books coming out in recent years, but stands out in my mind for its great cast of characters, interesting story and an unapologetic view of our world. Also, it isn't about zombies, so that's a win win. For many nerds today, this book scenario would be a dream come true, to the world, their worst nightmare.
  br14kabu | Mar 5, 2014 |
I loved this book! Yes, it is another book about the apocalypse. No, it is not like all those other books.

This is a story about Stephen, a boy who loses his family and finds a family and town willing to take him in. Most everyone is accepting of him (with the exception of a few - you always have to have a conflict) and this teaches him to trust again. The book talks a lot about standing up for what you believe in and helping others.

A great read with a good message and a positive ending. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Feb 12, 2014 |
Wasn’t exactly the survival story I thought it would be
  butterkidsmom | Jan 18, 2014 |
when a prank goes wrong, chaos erupts. now the main characters, two kids named jenny and Stephan find themselves in the middle of a war just before the freezing cold winter. will they survive? can they even survive?
I think this book was very good. I would recommend it because it is full of action, intensity a little bit of love. This book also has a great story. This was an excellent book especially for Jeff Hirchs first. ( )
  br14copi | Nov 8, 2013 |
To Gretchen. You never stop changing my life for the better.
I was sitting at the edge of the clearing, trying not to stare at the body on the ground in front of me.

The wars that followed The Collapse nearly destroyed civilization. Now, twenty years later, the world is faced with a choice—rebuild what was or make something new.

Stephen Quinn, a quiet and dutiful fifteen-year-old scavenger, travels Post-Collapse America with his Dad and stern ex-Marine Grandfather. They travel light. They keep to themselves. Nothing ever changes. But when his Grandfather passes suddenly and Stephen and his Dad decide to risk it all to save the lives of two strangers, Stephen's life is turned upside down. With his father terribly injured, Stephen is left alone to make his own choices for the first time.

Stephen’s choices lead him to Settler's Landing, a lost slice of the Pre-Collapse world where he encounters a seemingly benign world of barbecues, baseball games and days spent in a one-room schoolhouse. Distrustful of such tranquility, Stephen quickly falls in with Jenny Tan, the beautiful town outcast. As his relationship with Jenny grows it brings him into violent conflict with the leaders of Settler's Landing who are determined to remake the world they grew up in, no matter what the cost.

Twenty years after the start of the war that caused the Collapse, fifteen-year-old Stephen, his father, and grandfather travel post-Collapse America scavenging, but when his grandfather dies and his father decides to risk everything to save the lives of two strangers, Stephen's life is turned upside down.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible