The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

The Eleventh Plague

by Jeff Hirsch

It was just ok. The plot and characters were underdeveloped and it felt like fleshing out both would have made it a trilogy, and potentially more enjoyable. Not great, not terrible. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
I'm on chapter 4 so far and I'm really impressed already.

This book has surprises and starts off with a death. Basically, it's about a father and a son trying to survive the virus or sickness that has been taking over the world. There are also a lot is suspense like hiding from unexpected characters and objects.
You never now what's going to happen next. Will this little group survive the eleventh plague or die trying.

Over all I love the book so far and I can't wait til later on in the book when it gets really exciting. ( )
  ED_Fabro25 | Oct 3, 2014 |
Pretty good YA dystopian book. Family of salvagers running trade trails while trying to avoid slavers in a barren US. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
In a post-apocalyptic world, society struggles to rebuild itself, only to work against the forces that destroyed it. Young Todd Hewitt hears voices of all the other men in his village--oh, wait, that's The Chaos Walking series. Wave after wave of attacks demolish most of the United States and civilization must face the consequences of the alien invaders--oh, wait, no, that's The Fifth Wave. In a world ravaged by nuclear war, civilization struggles to rebuild after suffering dangerous fusions that mix together man and machine--wait, that's the Fuse series. Huh. Why is it this plot seems so familiar?

Yes, the post-apocalyptic genre is a very popular genre at the moment. Yes, there is usually a catch--Chaos Walking has its "Noise", The Fifth Wave has aliens with their weaponry, and Fuse has the interesting mix of a nuclear winter and purists that escaped the blast. However, these quirks or twists are what make those series interesting. They provide a channel through which the rest of the book is filtered and, rather than tell the reader how the world has changed and then fill in background information with narration, they show the reader what has transpired and then demonstrate with world-building the wreckage that has come about.

You may be wondering why I've spent the last two paragraphs writing about three different YA series and not mentioning The Eleventh Plague. That's because the background information, the world-building, the little 'niche' that makes a series interesting and gives it its kick are all absent. Rather than have dynamic characters like Pressia, Todd, and Cassie, we have Stephen. Stephen demonstrates none of the likability or power of his counterparts. Instead, Stephen constantly thinks of his abusive grandfather, whom he buried physically at the beginning of the book but cannot bury metaphorically until near the book's end. He ruminates constantly on how his grandfather would have reacted, despite the fact that he clearly hates the old bastard.

Moreover, at the beginning of the book, it's almost as though the role of protagonist and supporting character are reversed. Instead of the character who wants to break the boundaries and see what the world was like in the "before", a rather typical desire for a dystopian or post-apocalyptic protagonist, Stephen just wants to keep wandering around and keep everything safe. His father is the one who longs for the past.

While we're talking about the Before, it seems rather striking that the book's title is something that has happened before Stephen was even born. Unlike The Fifth Wave, where Cassie's flashbacks give us meaning and context to the book's title and the readers relive it with her, we are told about it, not shown. Stephen spends endless paragraphs telling us about the past and very little time *showing* us the past. It's paragraph after paragraph of exposition.

The preacher in The Knife of Never Letting Go, the aliens in The Fifth Wave, and the ominous Dome in the Fuse series (and those who control it) are much better developed opponents than anything The Eleventh Plague has to offer us. We don't know why the slavers do what they do, other than assumed greed. The Chinese and the Americans had a war that escalated, but we haven't seen any of it. Rather than show us exactly how everything fell apart, Hirsch glosses over it. It's as though he couldn't be bothered to come up with a plausible enough conflict to explain wiping out most of Mexico, Canada, and the United States, and decided to skip over it instead.

Subsequent confrontations with antagonists feel contrived. Will Henry (seriously, what is with this guy giving surnames that are also first names?) is weak at best. The notion of spies from another settlement fails to gain much traction and Caleb Henry, as well as his son, remain one-dimensional distractors.

The book's most interesting character, Jenny, struggles to rise above the mediocrity of the book and doesn't quite manage it. What confused me about her and her brother was that they were supposed to be younger (at least, Jackson was) and yet the book treats them as the same age. I wonder if Hirsch simply forgot this detail, as he did so many other things.

When Stephen, at the beginning of the book, believes that there is nothing else out there and then denies wanting to live in another world, it also seems contrived for him to develop loyalty toward people he has only known for a few days. This isn't a Disney film. It takes longer than that to change deeply held beliefs. Moreover, as he consistently errs toward whatever his grandfather would have thought was best, it feels like he is a shadow of a character, one who defers to someone we've never met and that all his development consists of phantom movements.

The one positive thing I can say about this book is that it contains a lot of action. Indeed, there is little rest time for the protagonist and his list of supporting characters. (There is also little depth to any of the characters and deaths and injuries are lackluster at best).

I'm not sure Suzanne Collins ever read the book she reviewed. If she did, perhaps she was too tired from the success of her superior series to give an accurate declaimer. The last time I read a book this bad was I Am Number Four. I had to struggle to finish that book too. At the end, I skimmed the last few pages, because reading any more was torturous.

I feel bad for disliking this book, since he'll be at a conference I'm attending tomorrow. I wanted to like it. I mean...just reading through the entire book gave it more of a chance than it really deserved. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
The Earth is destroyed after the war. Steven, his father and Grandfather are making a living at scavenging and selling what they can find. Soon Steve is on his own after his Grandfather dies and his father has fallen into a river hitting his head and becoming unconscious. What will become of Steven now? ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 29, 2014 |
To Gretchen. You never stop changing my life for the better.
I was sitting at the edge of the clearing, trying not to stare at the body on the ground in front of me.

The wars that followed The Collapse nearly destroyed civilization. Now, twenty years later, the world is faced with a choice—rebuild what was or make something new.

Stephen Quinn, a quiet and dutiful fifteen-year-old scavenger, travels Post-Collapse America with his Dad and stern ex-Marine Grandfather. They travel light. They keep to themselves. Nothing ever changes. But when his Grandfather passes suddenly and Stephen and his Dad decide to risk it all to save the lives of two strangers, Stephen's life is turned upside down. With his father terribly injured, Stephen is left alone to make his own choices for the first time.

Stephen’s choices lead him to Settler's Landing, a lost slice of the Pre-Collapse world where he encounters a seemingly benign world of barbecues, baseball games and days spent in a one-room schoolhouse. Distrustful of such tranquility, Stephen quickly falls in with Jenny Tan, the beautiful town outcast. As his relationship with Jenny grows it brings him into violent conflict with the leaders of Settler's Landing who are determined to remake the world they grew up in, no matter what the cost.

Twenty years after the start of the war that caused the Collapse, fifteen-year-old Stephen, his father, and grandfather travel post-Collapse America scavenging, but when his grandfather dies and his father decides to risk everything to save the lives of two strangers, Stephen's life is turned upside down.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,008,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible