Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende

Maya's Notebook (2011)

by Isabel Allende

Recently added byprivate library, SMA_Hive, ioplibrarian, alo1224, Pablo_Aimat, Pablo_, astridnr, Jaelle

English (42)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (56)
This is an enjoyable story with twists and turns in the plot and settings including Canada, Berkeley, CA, Oregon, Las Vegas and a tiny island off the southern coast of Chile. There is racial interaction and social stratification as Maya comes of age while experiencing drug addiction, rehabilitation and brushes with organized crime. Her "planned disappearance" from the US brings her into contact with her biological grandfather as she learns of her grandmother's love affair during a time of political upheaval in Chile. She experiences a primitive culture mixing old beliefs and traditions with Christianity in a community bound together by love, respect and necessity. There, with few possessions or comforts, she learns the things that are really meaningful in life. ( )
  UnionCongUCC | Jul 21, 2018 |
It is hard for me to describe exactly why I love Isabel Allende writing, but I have truly enjoyed each novel of Allende's that I have read. This particular story is unusual for her as it is not historical fiction but contemporary fiction about a teenage girl who gets caught up in addiction and moves to Chile. The story moves from the present to the past as we learn about the life of our main character. Allende's ability to weave a personal story and true history using beautiful language is unmatched. Another great book that makes me regret not reading more of Allende sooner. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I'm extremely sad to say I could not finish this. I was bored, which pains me. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I always love reading Isabel Allende's books, and this was no exception. I had the pleasure of attending a Q&A with Isabel Allende in Winston-Salem, NC last year, shortly after this book was published. It is a disgrace it took me this long to pick it up and actually read it!

A slight departure from many of her earlier books, Maya's Notebook only has a touch of magical realism. It is also written from the perspective of a 19 year old girl, who spiraled downwards into drinking, drugs, and crime in the years following the death of her beloved grandfather. The story is told mostly from her perspective, after her grandmother sends her into exile on a remote Chilean island, both to protect her from criminal goons and give her a safe sanctuary to rehabilitate. The descriptions of the Chiloé Archipelago are lyrical and in the style I have come to know and love from this author.

The story is partly a coming-of-age story, partly a crime/mystery thriller, but mostly an honest and open portrayal of addiction and grief. Unfortunately, a topic Ms Allende knows all to well: three of her stepchildren have struggled with addiction; two have died, the second one passed away the same month Maya's Notebook was published in the United States. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
Es fácil de leer y me gusta la forma como está escrito. ( )
  angela_fi13 | Nov 19, 2017 |
The prioritising of story over voice suggests that it's not the aim of Maya's Notebook to plunge the reader into the grim existence of a real-life Maya; this is a tale of revelations and resolutions, and the plot is more answerable to its own turns than to the brutal possibilities of reality. Despite the observations about the number of young people lost to street violence, crime and slavery, or because of them, the driving force of this novel is ultimately resilience – the power of love and acceptance to face down terrible things.
added by ozzer | editThe Guardian, Emily Perkins (May 30, 2013)

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Degenaar, RikkieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liverani ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver, "The Summer Day"
A los adolescentes de mi tribu: Alejandro, Andrea, Nicole, Sabrina, Aristotelis y Achilleas
For the teenagers of my tribe:
Alejandro, Andrea, Nicole, Sabrina, Aristotelis, and Achilleas
A week ago my grandmother gave me a dry-eyed hug at the San Francisco airport and told me again that if I valued my life at all, I should not get in touch with anyone I knew until we could be sure my enemies were no longer looking for me.

After the death of her beloved grandfather, nineteen-year-old Maya Vidal, turning to drugs, alcohol, and petty crimes, becomes trapped in a war between assassins, the police, the FBI, and Interpol, until her grandmother helps her escape to a remote island off the coast of Chile where she tries to make sense of her life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible