Hannah is My Name by Belle Yang

Hannah is My Name

by Belle Yang

Summary: This story is about a little girl named Hannah and her parents who just immigrated from Taiwan to San Francisco. Her parents give her the new "American" name Hannah because they think it will be easy for her to learn. They live in a tiny apartment where they all sleep in the same room. They go to Chinatown to apply for green cards so that Hannah's parents can get better jobs. Her mother was fired from her job for not having a green card and her father works under the table at a local diner. In school Hannah is getting more comfortable with speaking and reading English. She is very upset when her best friend Janie and her family are sent back to China because they do not have green cards. Hannah and her father must escape from the diner when the police come by to check green cards. When Hannah comes home from school one day her parents are preparing a wonderful meal. They tell her to open a gift and inside is a book. When she opens the book she sees her green card and is overcome with joy that her family is now safe to stay in America.

Review: I thought that this book was well written and the author used a lot of details that caught the reader's attention. I think my favorite quote from the book is when the author says,"All day long our hope stretches out like a rubber band. It snaps back when the green cards are not there." As a reader I am able to think about a time when I also felt like this and it helps me to better connect to the characters. I also like how at both the beginning and end of the story she said "Hannah is my name." I feel like this helps the story to come full circle and for the audience to appreciate how the charachter has changed and grown throughout the story. The illustrations are also very good. They provide a clear picture of what is going on in the story without leaving much to the imagination. I think the main message of this story is just to have hope and to keep chasing your dreams even when they are difficult to reach. Hannah is very optimistic about her new life in America and does not get easily discouraged when things are difficult for her. ( )
  kkerns3 | Oct 14, 2014 |
Hannah is a Chinese girl telling her family struggles in the United States. Its a good book for the students to understand other students that are immigrants. They can learn other people backgrounds. ( )
  thnguyen | Oct 4, 2014 |
This book talks about the Hannah who is chinese girl. It describe immigration story.
Source: Pierce College Library
Age: 5-8 ( )
  Yuna0130 | Nov 18, 2013 |
A little girl and her family move from Taiwan. The family has to make some adjustments to their family routines but quickly settle in. This book is full of beautiful illustrations and great family values.

Preschool/ 3rd grade informational ( )
  RoniDavis | Nov 3, 2013 |
This was a cute story about a young girl, whose family comes form China to the United States. It discusses their struggles as they wait for the approval of a green card, and how her parents try to work without being caught. Told from a young girl's perspective accompanied by bright pictures, this book is easy to understand and helps teach children about how not everyone has the fortunate life of being born in the U.S. and what some families have to go through to live here. ( )
  claireforhan | Feb 7, 2013 |

With Chinese-influenced paintings in jewel-like colors, Belle Yang tells an immigration tale that reflects one of the many facets of the American dream.

Hannah is my name in this new country. It doesn't sound at all like my
Chinese name, Na-Li, which means beautiful.

It's a long way from Taiwan to San Francisco, but Hannah's family has made the journey because they want to make America their home. Here in America, Baba tells his daughter, people are free to say what they think, and children can grow up to be whatever they choose. And so Hannah takes a new name, begins a new school, learns a new language, and starts to adjust to a new way of life. Meanwhile, they all wait — and hope — for the arrival of the green cards that will assure they are finally home to stay.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:45 -0400)

A young Chinese girl and her parents emigrate to the United States and try their best to assimilate into their San Francisco neighborhood while anxiously awaiting the arrival of their green cards.

Belle Yang is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763622230, 0763635219

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible