Alms for Oblivion: Vol 1 by Simon Raven

Simon Raven's Alms for Oblivion series is a delightful, beautifully written, absolutely addictive, and entirely scabrous look at the English upper classes at play (and occasionally a bit of work). When you start the first in the series, be warned that you won't want to read anything else until you've completed the final volume. Highly recommended. ( )
2 vote dcozy | May 14, 2007 |
These comments apply to the whole Alms for Oblivion series. A great roman fleuve, up there with Patrick O'Brien and Anthony Powell, in my view, though very different, of course. Trenchant, scabrous, funny, amoral, brilliantly plotted. The find of 2006, as far as I am concerned. ( )
  Bibliophial | Dec 29, 2006 |
I discovered Simon Raven in the summer of 1982 when I was unemployed and depressed. I devoured all of his books in rapid sucession - luckily the local public library had a full set. They are wryly comic descriptions of society in the 50s-60s with Fielding Grey as an anti-hero whom I felt quite sorry for as his life progresses. Not one of the characters is really lovable and Raven enjoys portraying their little peccadilloes. Great read. ( )
2 vote mlfhlibrarian | Oct 31, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,694,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible