If You Hear Her by Shiloh Walker

If You Hear Her

by Shiloh Walker (Author)

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I cannot believe I wasted my time with this only to find that the murder isnt solved until the 3rd book -_-
It started out well, the main characters were likable, fairly different since Lena is blind.
Enjoyable read in the general sense but I skimmed most the 'under the cover' scenes because really you CAN have too many of those. I'm getting sick of reading about raging libido and jumping each other far too frequently, all predictably equating 'love forever'. No real obstacles in their ,couple story, I think, that mainly bothered me.

The suspense was fairly OK but if anyone says this is on par with Karen Rose you have another think coming! The crime was pretty gruesomely done, but it felt like it tapered off after a while. I started off quite liking it, then I was like..mehhh I don't really care about you people.

Do I want to sit through 2 more books to find out who the killer is? Nope.

I think that if I'd read this ages ago, when I wasn't a jaded fish I may have had a more positive opinion.

Either way I don't like being strung along more than one book when the whole premise doesn't stick well enough for me. ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Holy goodness. First, I would not advise starting RIGHT before bedtime, because there is some scary dark sh*t here. Had horrible, horrible book-related nightmares that night/morning.

Second, if you hate cliffhangers, make sure you have the other two books in hand (library, whatever) before starting this one. While it DOES end in a HFN (Happily For Now), there are many loose end to tie up in future books, including some scary perv kidnapping and torturing women.

What I loved: Lena, the heroine is blind, and yes, it affects her life, but she is not "disabled," there are simply issues she has to work around. In fact, it wasn't until several chapters in I realized she WAS blind. (That said, there was a reference to her lights being on, that we needed a reason for that - solar lights in case of guests, timers, etc., because obviously a blind woman ain't running around turning on lights when it's dark.)

Besides the raping, torturing perv, there is also a theme of domestic violence/gaslighting. If any of these things are triggering for you, you probably won't like this series.

This is/was not my usual genre, but had me riveted to the page. Ezra (first time I've ever found a male named Ezra sexy) is semi-disabled physically, due to being shot in the leg during his time as a cop, and now, emotionally. He tries to stay away from Lena, but the attraction is too strong.

Condom use/discussion - five stars on this!!

The sex is INCREDIBLY hot, and believable in development. The friendships/relationships and development of the B story is wonderful. Also, though it is set in a rural Kentucky town, there isn't catering to stereotypes of small town Southern yokels (though the town doesn't seem to be real integrated, either); some people are dumb, most people are fairly intelligent and empathetic.

Will definitely be reading the rest of this trilogy. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
  Morana.Mora | Sep 22, 2013 |
If you hear her have been on my To Buy list since it was released, but for a number of reasons I didn't buy it until February 2012. And I am glad I waited. Oh, don't get me wrong. I loved this book in so many ways but let's start with the characters. I loved the relationship between Ezra and Lena. The attraction between Ezra and Lena is evident from the first time they meet.. I'll admit that for a couple of chapters I wondered if they would end up together or not, since Ezra resisted the urge to call Lena. His reasons for not calling her made sense. Believe me. Then there are Law, with all his secrets. Which gives him trouble. And Hope.. My heart went out for her. She has been through so many things.

I also liked that not all characters were pleasant. Some were just annoying ( like a certain deputy). And the murderer? Burr. Honestly. I get goosebumps just thinking about him.

Then there are the suspense. The suspense is there from page one. And it just increased. There isn't that many murders in the book, but Ms. Walker uses a lot of small touches to ramp up the suspense. And keep it there. I liked how the murders affected the town. The paranoia affect the whole city. The demands for an arrest. Kudos for the Sheriff department for not caving to the demands. ( I could go on and on about it, but I wont, since that would stray into spoiler territory).

So.. What I didn't like. This book is the first book in a trilogy. As in, the story arc spans over three books. Which means that even if Ezra and Lena get their happy ending, the suspense part isn't tied up. No one in the book have an inkling who the killer is. Since book 2 is already out, and book 3 is coming soon this isn't a big thing. But if I had bought it in November? I would have been really mad at Shiloh Walker. ( )
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345517539, Mass Market Paperback)

A CRY IN THE WOODS

The scream Lena Riddle hears in the woods behind her house is enough to curdle her blood—she has no doubt that a woman is in real danger. Unfortunately, with no physical evidence, the local law officers in small-town Ash, Kentucky, dismiss her claim. But Lena knows what she heard—and it leaves her filled with fear and frustration.

Ezra King is on leave from the state police, but he can’t escape the guilty memories that haunt his dreams. When he sees Lena, he is immediately drawn to her. He aches to touch her—to be touched by her—but is he too burdened by his tragic past to get close? When Ezra hears her story of an unknown woman’s screams, his instincts tell him that Lena’s life is also at risk—and his desire to protect her is as fierce as his need to possess her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:30 -0400)

"The scream Lena Riddle hears in the woods behind her house is enough to curdle her blood--she has no doubt that a woman is in real danger. Unfortunately, with no physical evidence, the local law officers in small-town Ash, Kentucky, dismiss her claim. But Lena knows what she heard--and it leaves her filled with fear and frustration. Ezra King is on leave from the state police, but he can't escape the guilty memories that haunt his dreams. When he sees Lena, he is immediately drawn to her. He aches to touch her, but is he too burdened by his tragic past to get close? When Ezra hears her story of an unknown woman's screams, his instincts tell him that Lena's life is also at risk--and his desire to protect her is as fierce as his need to possess her."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

71 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible