The Girl in the Park by Mariah Fredericks

The Girl in the Park

by Mariah Fredericks

3.75 stars - not quite the connection with some of the characters that I look for. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Rain and Wendy hadn't been close friends since ninth grade but Rain is still saddened when Wendy is found murdered in Central Park. Wendy had a reputation as a bad girl but Rain knew a softer side of her friend. Rain typically keeps quiet and doesn't speak up but her friend's senseless death pushes her to speak and be heard. The book had an interesting beginning but then it became to formulaic. The author didn't flesh out the characters well and didn't keep the suspense going throughout the book. I think the book would have been more interesting if all the threads of the mystery didn't come together so neatly ( )
  68papyrus | May 9, 2013 |
I read this in a few hours. It was definitely a page turner.
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
I read this in a few hours. It was definitely a page turner.
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
This book was intense, and had a more bittersweet ending than my usual preferred happy one, but I really liked it in the end. It explores friendship and belonging, betrayal and murder, all in the setting of an exclusive high school in New York City. Rain and Wendy, both on the fringes of the popular crowd at school, used to be friends--once. Times have changed, though, and they've turned into the kind of acquaintances who might only exchange a few words at a party or in the halls at school. The morning after one of those parties, Wendy is discovered in Central Park, murdered. Rain, for reasons even she isn't clear about for much of the book, feels compelled to uncover the truth of her murder.

Mariah Fredericks really wrote a page turner with this one! I, along with Rain, kept taking her cleverly disguised wrong plot turns--and though I did pick up on an early clue that Rain missed, I didn't quite understand the motivation until later on(and was actually relieved to be proven right on the whodunit part, because it solved the one rather big part of the story that I was extremely uncomfortable with). Due to certain aspects of the story, I'd say this is definitely more of a high school on up story, but well worth the read. I'll be looking for more from this author for sure. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |

In a starred review, Publishers Weekly called this YA mystery a "haunting psycological thriller" and "profound, provocative commentary on what it means to grow up in the age of Facebook."

When Wendy Geller's body is found in Central Park after the night of a rager, newspaper headlines scream,"Death in the Park: Party Girl Found Strangled." But shy Rain, once Wendy's best friend, knows there was more to Wendy than just "party girl." As she struggles to separate the friend she knew from the tangle of gossip and headlines, Rain becomes determined to discover the truth about the murder. Written in a voice at once immediate, riveting, and utterly convincing, Mariah Frederick's mystery brilliantly exposes the cracks in this exclusive New York City world and the teenagers that move within it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:14 -0400)

When a teenaged girl with a bad reputation is murdered in New York City's Central Park after a party, her childhood friend is determined to solve the mystery of who caused her death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,729,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible