Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita working with the police and raising zombies at this point are the only things I like about the series for the most part. The first part of the book has what I like but the second half is all relationship angst with a quickie ending tacked on. I'll keep reading these as long as the library keeps stocking them. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I haven't been one of the readers screaming for a return of the "old Anita Blake". I've enjoyed reading about her expanding abilities (and stable of men).

The first half of this book was a slog fest that read like a rough draft. The language was stilted and the grammar errors were jarring. I wasn't invested in the "procedural" AT ALL.

I wonder if it was tacked on at the last minute because the second half...picked up. Once she returned to her "boys" I was much more interested. Unfortunately it didn't pick up enough for me.

Eh. I've been reading these books since about 1999 so I'll probably continue...but I don't think I'll be buying another Anita Blake on release day. ( )
  ShariSlade | Feb 28, 2014 |
When a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it’s up to U.S. Marshal Anita Blake to find her. The pages read with a little action, Anita angsting about the men in her life, a little more action, then Anita angsting about the men in her life on a repeat cycle with huge descriptive passages of what they look like. Boring! ( )
  boppisces | Jan 30, 2014 |
Can we get back to the story please?
  autumnesf | Oct 26, 2013 |
*head-desk*

And Hit List made me hopeful. I should have known better. As a review I once read stated, LKH "tends to take one step forward, two orgies back." It was too much to hope for 2 good books in a row.

I'm not sure where to start. Like so many others, the book started out very interesting. It even held my interest longer than some other of the Anita Blake books, but lo and behold the endless sex scenes began again, and what little plot there was flew out the window with Anita's knickers.

If I have to effing read once more about how tiny/small/petite Anita is, I will punch a baby. Seriously. I'm only 5'4"--an inch taller than Anita--yet I somehow make it through my week without constantly thinking, "Oh, I'm so small. Look how small my hands are next to his. I'm so tiny. I only come up to his chest. I got used to being the smallest kid in school." Because you know why? 5'3"-5'4" isn't that effing short!!! Yes, I am shorter than many people, but there are times I am often one of the tallest people standing in line at the post office or whatnot. I'm a little shorter than average, but it's not such a fking rarity that it's constantly remarked upon by those around me/by my own inner dialogue.

There is good news, though: that was the final published Anita Blake book. If my OCD permits, I will not look for upcoming installments. I'm done. Thank god, I'm done. ( )
  wispywillow | Sep 21, 2013 |
To Jonathon, my husband,
who understands that the journey is long, but worth the ride.
To Shawn
for all those calls about police work and for just being that lifelline call over the last two decades. All mistakes in this book are mine and mine alone.
To Jess:
who has taught both Jonathon and me that mischief is both fun and damn near necessary in our lives.
To Pilar, my sister of choice
who taught me that it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
To Steven,
who helped me with research I didn't even know I was doing
On TV, interrogation rooms are roomy and have big windows so that you can watch everything.

When a 13-yr-old girl is abducted by vampires, it's up to US Marshal Anita Blake to find her. And when she does, she's faced with something she's never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people - kids, grandparents, soccer moms - all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving a master.
And where there's one martyr there will be more ...

But even vampires have monsters they're afraid of ... and one of them is THE Executioner Anita Blake.

"When a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it's up to U.S. Marshal Anita Blake to find her. And when she does, she's faced with something she's never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people--kids, grandparents, soccer moms--all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving a master. And where there's one martyr, there will be more... But even vampires have monsters that they're afraid of. And Anita is one of them.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible