The Mirror Prince by Violette Malan

The Mirror Prince (2006)

by Violette Malan

Series: Mirror Prince (book 1)

I moved through this one pretty quickly once I got started. It's nice to read a fantasy novel without the expectation that it's going to be a trilogy (or more) and it did end on a solid note. The characters were interesting enough, and it was a great bad guy. However, there were lots of unanswered questions; it didn't seem like they were unanswered deliberately, but more that the author sort of forgot to tie up those threads (particularly things that happened earlier in the book). Also, the usage of made-up words for certain terms got a little old and seemed unnecessary--if it's armor, just call it armor, even if it is magical in your world. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
An urban fantasy that successfully wandes into the realm of faerie. It makes you think. Are you happy with who you are? Would you give up the bad things in your past if it meant possibly being someone you won't like? The ending is highly satisfying. An excellent read.
  Strider66 | Oct 1, 2009 |
Although this book had interesting characters and a well developed world, I felt bogged down by too much description and introspection that felt repetitive. I wanted to stay with the characters to see how things turned out in the end, but was not surprised by the ending and didn't feel the need to run out and buy the next book. The 360 pages in this book felt longer. ( )
  Pomsofa | May 14, 2008 |
The premise of the book will be familiar to more experienced fantasy readers. History professor Max Ravenhill discovers he's not who he thinks he is. He's not even human. He's an exile from the lands of the Fae, guardian of the Talismans that can select the next High Prince and end the cycle of death and corruption. Now, as Max's exile comes to an end, the Basilisk Prince is determined to capture him and use the Talismans to make himself High Prince.

It took me a few chapters to get into the book. Malan jumps right into the action with a fairly brutal (off-screen) massacre, and it also took me a while to grasp the fantasy side of her worldbuilding. It wasn't until a few chapters into the book, when Max and his protector Cassandra left our world and returned home, that I started to wrap my brain around everything.

With that said, I enjoyed the book a great deal by the end. Max and Cassandra were fun, and it was interesting to see the relationship between the guardian (who knows what's going on) and Max (whose memories have been altered, so he doesn't even know Cassandra at first). Malan even gives us glimpses of "humanity" from the Basilisk Prince, and I always like conflicted characters.

While some elements of the story felt familiar, others were intriguingly original. I enjoyed Malan's take on enchanted weapons and armor, and the creative ways they can be used. Her revelation about the Hounds (hunting beasts, from the original Hunt) was fascinating enough I wanted her to spend more time on it.

Actually, that was my biggest frustration. Some of Malan's most fascinating ideas seemed to get skimmed over. I wanted to learn more about the Naturals and the Solitaries, the other "races" of Max's realm. I wanted to understand guidebeasts better. And if the biggest complaint about a book is, "I wanted more," I think that's a pretty positive thing. ( )
  jchines | Aug 7, 2007 |

Violette Malanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404231, Mass Market Paperback)

Max Ravenhill was perfectly happy with his life as a history professor until he met Cassandra. Told that he was more than a thousand years old and had known Cassandra and her fellow Wardens all that time, that his life as Max was pure fiction implanted in his mind, and that he was being pursued by the Hunt and his only chance for survival was to flee to the realm of Faerie, Max can only assume that Cassandra is crazy-or he is. But soon it becomes all too clear that at least part of what she says is true. And unless he goes with her, he won't live long enough to separate the truth from the lies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:39 -0400)

"Max Ravenhill thinks he's human...but he's wrong. He's been given false memories over and over again by his Wardens, who don't want him to realize that he's been alive for over one thousand years." "Max and his Wardens are Riders - what humans call the Faerie folk - and back in their Lands Max was the Prince Guardian, Keeper of the Talismans. As the Prince Guardian, Max lost a civil war and was banished to the Shadowlands, the human country. To prevent his escape, his memory was bound, along with his dra'aj, the magical energy that is manifested in all Faerie. His Wardens were with him to make sure that the powerless Exile was not accidentally killed by humans." "The Banishment is nearing its end when Warden Cassandra Kennaby gets a most unexpected warning that Max is in imminent danger from his old enemy, the Rider who has become known as the Basilisk Prince. Cassandra has personal reasons for avoiding her charge, but when the warning is confirmed by the appearance of the Hunt, she has no choice but to remember her Oath and go to the rescue. As the Hunt closes in, the only way Cassandra can save Max is to risk returning him home before the end of the Banishment. Max finds himself in the bewildering Lands of the People, where nothing, not the Riders or the Naturals or the Solitaries - not even the landscape itself - does what he expects. Cassandra and Max find that the dra'aj of the Lands has been waning during the Banishment, and the Basilisk Prince has been growing in power since the time of the Great War. Max's old supporters desperately need him to prevent the Basilisk from declaring himself High Prince and destroying the natural Cycles of the Lands. But it isn't really Max they need - it's his true self, the Prince Guardian. Max must decide whether to give up the only life he knows, in order to become someone else. For only then can he hope to fight an ancient enemy he doesn't even remember."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,567,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible