The Cage of Zeus by Sayuri Ueda

The Cage of Zeus

by Sayuri Ueda

I really wanted to like this. I mean, it's very gender and sexuality aware, focusing on issues that I care a lot about. It sounds maybe a bit like The Left Hand of Darkness, in that sense. But the writing -- gah, so much exposition. I don't need six pages worth of explanation of the difference between sexuality and gender, and I'm bored to death by a very basic run-through of bioethics that is less wide-ranging than the first week of my neuroethics course.

So I got about a third of the way through this and just... I don't have time for this when I can (and should) be rereading The Left Hand of Darkness. Which has its own problems, of course, but which never has me going "oh my god get to some plot already" in this way. ( )
  shanaqui | Oct 13, 2013 |
Might have been forward-thinking forty years ago. Perhaps that's where Japan is on gender and sexuality issues, but I doubt it. Good use of shifting points of view among diverse characters. The dialogue and internal monologues are stilted - probably somewhat the translator's fault, but it often comes off as something like a Speed Racer cartoon. Responses and opinions on complex situations that in real life would take much time for consideration and discussion are relayed as succinct statements of the obvious.
Skip this and read The Left Hand of Darkness instead. ( )
  klh | Nov 17, 2011 |
kind of weird, but a good twist. I really liked this book! ( )
  jovemako | Oct 15, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible