Archie: The Married Life Book 1 by Michael…

Archie: The Married Life Book 1

by Michael Uslan

I haven't read Archie comics in years, but the other day I remembered the marriage storyline and decided to look into it. This volume covers the first 6 issues of that storyline. Archie takes a walk down memory lane and we get to see what his life would be like if he married both Betty and Veronica. I know not everyone is thrilled with the idea but the Betty/Veronica debate has gone on for years and it's a neat way to make everyone happy.

The alternate story lines are both pretty interesting and I like seeing what's going to happen in both scenarios. I will admit that since other factors differ, such as when other characters get married and what characters are doing with their lives. Sometimes, this gets a little bit confusing b/c you have a moment where you go "wait a minute...." but then you get yourself re-situated and keep going.

I did feel like they may have made Veronica's dad a little bit too much the villain. Now as I said I haven't read in years but I don't remember him being so evil feeling when I was a kid. He's making it impossible for people to survive in what is already a very difficult environment.

I definitely want to keep reading this, particularly since I want to see what turns out the same in both environments and what ends up different. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This is cute, but I can't really say that it was any more than "okay."

I have to admit I’ve been curious about this series for a while now, even as a grown-up, because - like so many of us, I guess - I grew up reading about these characters. Archie comics - more specifically Betty & Veronica comics - were some of the first things I learned to read. I remember having stacks of the little digest books, and I still remember some of the covers so clearly. I remember loving Veronica’s glamorous world travels, wherein she’d trot off to Paris or Tokyo with her limitless credit cards and designer clothes. Pretty awesome escape for a girl from a poor family, living in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I liked Betty too, because she was always writing in her journal or fantasizing about weird stuff - like if life was like a board game, or if she lived the lives of her dolls. And see, I still remember these stories 20+ years later so you can’t tell me that’s not pretty special!! So, yeah. I knew sooner or later I was going to have to pick this series up and give it a try.

So . . . hmm . . . I think it’s okay. As everyone probably already knows, the chapters alternate between two parallel universes, one in which Archie married Veronica and is an exec at Lodge Enterprises, the other in which he married Betty and is struggling to make it as a musician in New York. The whimsical adventures and day dreams are gone in place of the harsh realities of adult life, where one has to worry about jobs and paying the bills, letting go of your dreams and other fun stuff. Uh, yay? It is NOT an adult deconstruction of Archie comics (which would be kind of cool), it only moves the characters into slightly more adult situations, while still being entirely kid-friendly. They never even go to a bar, the whole gang still hangs out at the malt shop for goodness’ sake!

It’s an interesting idea and I love the parallel-universes thing.

But, because I am picky, here are some things I didn’t like:

In both universes, Hiram Lodge is the bad guy - and he’s really nasty, like insanely so and it kinda bothered me. He gets Betty fired from her job because he’s mad Archie married her and broke his daughter’s heart? What the heck? That’s just . . . weird. o_0 Why would he waste his time and money on this petty revenge crap when he never thought Archie was good enough for his little girl anyways?!

I also thought it was too bad that the story for the supporting cast is largely the same in both universes. In both universes, Moose and Midge are broken up. In both universes Jughead is taking over Pop Tate’s chocolate shop. Etc. etc. This felt like wasted opportunity to me - they could have made the universes really different! I mean, there are some differences - but only when it comes to the main four characters, Archie, Betty, Veronica and Reggie. It seems Reggie gets to be the "consolation prize" for whichever girl doesn’t get to be with her true love, Archie. I think the creative team could have been a little more . . . creative here, you know.

I guess part of MY problem is that I was never really a fan of Archie Andrews himself (or Reggie or Jughead for that matter.) I liked the girls (ha ha, no surprise to people who know me now, I’m sure) and I was sad to see that in both story lines Betty and Veronica’s epic best friendship is completely ignored. Sure, they were rivals, but they were also practically sisters. What I wouldn’t give for a third parallel universe, where both girls forgot about Archie and married each other! Then they could travel the world and have fun adventures, and also Mr. Lodge wouldn’t be a crazy super villain . . . oh, well, a girl can dream, can’t she? *sigh* ( )
  catfantastic | May 15, 2015 |
Love or hate... life or death... Betty or Veronica

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible