The Measure of Katie Calloway by Serena B.…

The Measure of Katie Calloway (2011)

by Serena B. Miller

Wonderful book! Strong characters--very moving. I can sense the fear, the uncertainty, the passion, etc. It was well done! ( )
  caslater83 | Jul 24, 2015 |
Free on Kindle. Spoilers. This was fun because most of the action took place in Michigan. Katie Calloway married badly and had to run away to keep from being murdered by her husband so he can marry a rich widow & restore his plantation to pre-Civil War glory. She ends up cooking for a lumber camp in the Michigan woods. Circumstances conspire to let her husband know where she is, & he comes after her but soon meets a bad end. The good people prosper, and the town Madam puts her money into lumbering so she can give up Madam-ing.
  franoscar | Oct 1, 2014 |
The Civil War has ended, but there is still conflict raging in Katie Calloway's home in Georgia. When she finds out that her abusive husband plans to kill her so that he can marry a wealthy war widow to rebuild his ruined plantation, Katie and her little brother Ned flee as far north as the train can take them, which is Bay City, Michigan. There she meets Robert Foster, who is looking for a cook for his logging camp.

Katie takes the job, and she and Ned find sanctuary in the camp. Robert wonders if the young woman has the grit to survive the harsh conditions and never ending work, and Katie wonders if she can keep her past a secret from the man she slowly growing to love.

I really enjoyed this story, it was so much more in depth than I had expected. I felt like I was experiencing life in a logging camp right along with Katie. The characters were richly drawn; I enjoyed getting to know all of the logging men and their different personalities.

I have lived in Michigan my whole life, and I knew the state had a rich logging history, but I had not read much about it until I picked up this book. The author did very well with her research, and it gave me a new appreciation for all the work, and the danger involved in what it takes to get wood to the consumers who will use it, something I think a lot of take for granted.

I don't know if there is a sequel planned for this book, but I would love to read one, not only to find out what happens next to main characters, but all the other characters as well. ( )
  mom2acat | Mar 16, 2014 |
When Katie Calloway had had enough of her abusive southern husband, she grabbed only what would fit on her person, and her young brother and took off, hoping to never see her past life again. She wound up in Michigan, with a changed name, no job and barely enough money to sustain both of them. Then something amazing happened, a job oppurtunity opened up with a logging company as their cook. It was destined to be a tough job, but Katie vowed she would persevere. Through seven months of hardship, Katie fought to show her boss, Robert, that she could be everything he needed in her job. And along the way, she began to lose her heart to him. But her life was a lie, and Robert didn't tolerate lies. ( )
  wndy2011 | Oct 4, 2013 |
I liked the unique setting for the story. The characters were all interesting and while the romance was the typical one, the twist made for some depth. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  yonitdm | Jan 24, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0800719980, Paperback)

The Civil War has ended, but in Katie Calloway's Georgia home conflict still rages. To protect herself and her young brother from her violent and unstable husband, she flees north, finding anonymity and sanctuary as the cook in a Northwoods lumber camp. The camp owner, Robert Foster, wonders if the lovely woman he's hired has the grit to survive the never-ending work and harsh conditions of a remote pine forest in winter. Katie wonders if she can keep her past a secret from a man she is slowly growing to love.

With grace and skill, Serena Miller brings to life a bygone era. From the ethereal, snowy forest and the warm cookstove to the rowdy shanty boys and the jagged edges of the saw, every detail is perfectly rendered, transporting the reader back to the time when pine was king, men were made of iron, and rivers were choked with logs on the way to the sawmills. Readers will have a hard time leaving the Northwoods when they turn the last page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

The Civil War has ended, but in Katie's Georgia home, conflict still rages. To protect herself and her young brother from her unstable husband, she flees north, finding sanctuary as the cook in a north woods lumber camp. Can she keep her past a secret from a man she is slowly growing to love?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,406,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible