Deader Homes and Gardens by Joan Hess

Deader Homes and Gardens

by Joan Hess

Newlywed, Claire has enough trouble finding the perfect house, but it gets worse when her realtor end up dead. The plot was interesting but its execution did not leave a lot of mystery. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jun 8, 2016 |
I hated this book. Usually I will give up on a book that I detest, but for some reason, I kept thinking that it had to get better. It didn't.
I loathed Claire. I loathed every character in this novel, it seemed that not one of them had a redeeming feature.
Claire was quite possibly the most self-centered, egotistical, uncaring, selfish protagonist I have ever come across.
All the sentences were super short. I doubt that a comma was ever needed. The flow was stilted. Just like this paragraph.
I give this book one star and the caution; don't waste your time. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
Claire Molloy, just married and on the prowl for a new house, finds her Arkansas dream home. Trouble is it isn’t for sale. Or maybe it’s for sale. Before the issue of whether it’s for sale or not can be resolved, her Realtor disappears. That doesn’t stop Claire and her daughter Caron from making regular inspection tours of the house and setting up camp there when the purported owner is murdered right before Claire’s eyes.

A missing person, a murder with lots of suspects– and there’s something else suspicious in Hollow Valley, but Claire can’t figure out what it is. All the mystery surrounding her gets Claire’s amateur sleuth juices flowing. Thank goodness her cop-husband Peter is out of town and otherwise occupied.

Deader Homes & Gardens is standard fare in this long-lived series. Zaniness and impossible situations and characters abound. It’s a cozy and fantastical getaway for an afternoon. ( )
1 vote NewsieQ | Jun 1, 2014 |
This nicely twisting plott made me laugh out loud. The 'bad guy' was well hidden among all the other characters. Caron and Inez add their own variety of comedy that well reflects dealing with teenaged girls. ( )
1 vote DrLed | Mar 3, 2013 |
For my beloved grandchildren, Amanda Hadley and Jack Benton King, born July 8, 2010
The weather had been milder than usual, but March was notoriously unreliable.

Finding what she hopes will be an ideal house to share with her new husband and teenage daughter, Claire Malloy learns that the property's previous owner died under suspicious circumstances and that a real estate agent has gone missing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,090,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible