Autumn Laing by Alex Miller

Autumn Laing

by Alex Miller

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (jll1976)
    jll1976: Similar themes and style. Also a 'death bed confessional'.

Disappointing...I tried to enjoy this book but didn't succeed.
It annoys me that he chose a very well known true story about quite famous and well known people as a basis and then changed it so that he could say it was fiction. I therefore could not relate to the characters who became neither real nor imagined. ( )
  lesleynicol | Nov 2, 2012 |
I have read most of Miller's work and consider him one of our finest writers but found this one disappointing. I loved the character of Autumn and the first chapter was outstanding, but by the middle of the novel I decided it was tedious. The development of the modernist movement in Melbourne does not make for riveting reading! It needed more concision. ( )
2 vote RobinDawson | Oct 16, 2012 |
This book is sublime!

http://wp.me/p20PAS-8L ( )
1 vote jll1976 | Apr 21, 2012 |

Autumn Laing seduces Pat Donlon with her lust for life and art. In doing so she not only compromises the trusting love she has with her husband, Arthur, she also steals the future from Pat's young and beautiful wife, Edith, and their unborn child. Fifty-three years later, cantankerous, engaging, unrestrainable 85-year-old Autumn is shocked to find within herself a powerful need for redemption. As she tells her story, she writes, 'They are all dead and I am old and skeleton-gaunt. This is where it began...'

Autumn Laing seduces Pat Donlon with her pearly thighs and her lust for life and art. In doing so she not only compromises the trusting love she has with her husband, Arthur, she also steals the future from Pat's young and beautiful wife, Edith, and their unborn child. Fifty-three years later, cantankerous, engaging, unrestrainable 85-year-old Autumn is shocked to find within herself a powerful need for redemption. As she begins to tell her story, she writes, 'They are all dead and I am old and skeleton-gaunt. This is where it began...' Written with compassion and intelligence, this energetic, funny and wise novel peels back the layers of storytelling and asks what truth has to do with it. Autumn Laing is an unflinchingly intimate portrait of a woman and her time - she is unforgettable.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,903,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible