The Good Father by Noah Hawley

The Good Father

by Noah Hawley

238None48,345 (3.78)11

This was a reading group book and I didn't expect much but it was excellent. A book to make you think but don't expect answers. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 30, 2014 |
It took me forever to finish this book because life kept getting in the way but now that I have I have just one word: WOW! I really wanted the son to be innocent and I was saddened when he wasn't. It definitely tore at my heart that the father let go of his son and had to watch him die. I think anyone can relate to having to let their family members go and watch them die. It is a must read.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I appreciated the history of other assassinations and the fiction of this story, but I had trouble bouncing back and forth between chapters of history and chapters of fiction. The story is hard to bear, as a parent. ( )
  RhoBSD | May 2, 2013 |
I was a little confused as to whether this book was fact or fiction at times, due to the details of previous assassinations, but discovered that the author has combined the two to create his story. A good book. ( )
  Carolinejyoung | Apr 21, 2013 |
From The Book Wheel:

The Good Father by Noah Hawley is the haunting tale of Dr. Paul Allen, a remarried father of young twins, who is struggling to come to grips with a single horrific act perpetrated by, Daniel, his son from his first marriage. After dropping out of college for a soul-searching life on the road, Daniel assumed a new identity and is arrested for assassinating a popular presidential candidate. Mostly narrated by Dr. Allen, there are parts that switch to Daniel’s point-of-view, giving the reader the full 3-D experience.

Reading this book was a bit of a harrowing experience. What propels the book forward is Dr. Allen’s quest to understand his son’s actions. He is desperate to prove his son’s innocence while also trying to come to terms with what he has done. Was it the divorce that changed his sweet boy into a killer? Was it the cross-country flights between parents? Was it because he had remarried and started a new family? Did he pay his son enough attention? These are the questions Dr. Allen asks himself as the rest of the world vilifies his son.

What is difficult about this book is that it personifies the killer. In light of recent events in Aurora, CO; Newtown, CT; and California, this is a difficult pill to swallow and I know that a of of people will likely put off reading The Good Father because of it. But it is a very good book and it should be read because it’s main focus is the father. We oftentimes forget that violence affects the families of the guilty, and this is one of those rare books that delves into that unexplored side of tragedy. ( )
  thebookwheel | Feb 27, 2013 |
For Kyle and Guinevere, proof that life is good
He bought the gun in Long Beach, at a pawnshop called Lucky's.

An intense, psychological novel about one doctor's suspense-filled quest to unlock the mind of a suspected political assassin: his twenty-year old son.

As the Chief of Rheumatology at Columbia Presbyterian, Dr. Paul Allen's specialty is diagnosing patients with conflicting symptoms, patients other doctors have given up on. He lives a contented life in Westport with his second wife and their twin sons—hard won after a failed marriage earlier in his career that produced a son named Daniel. In the harrowing opening scene of this provocative and affecting novel, Dr. Allen is home with his family when a televised news report announces that the Democratic candidate for president has been shot at a rally, and Daniel is caught on video as the assassin.

Daniel Allen has always been a good kid—a decent student, popular—but, as a child of divorce, used to shuttling back and forth between parents, he is also something of a drifter. Which may be why, at the age of nineteen, he quietly drops out of Vassar and begins an aimless journey across the United States, during which he sheds his former skin and eventually even changes his name to Carter Allen Cash.

Told alternately from the point of view of the guilt-ridden, determined father and his meandering, ruminative son, The Good Father is a powerfully emotional page-turner that keeps one guessing until the very end. This is an absorbing and honest novel about the responsibilities—and limitations—of being a parent and our capacity to provide our children with unconditional love in the face of an unthinkable situation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:33 -0400)

An intense, psychological novel about one doctor's suspense-filled quest to unlock the mind of a suspected political assassin: his 20-year old son.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,402,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible