Education of a Wandering Man by Louis…

Education of a Wandering Man (1989)

by Louis L'Amour

I had trouble rating this book because it alternated between tedious and enthralling. The book was a somewhat rambling collection of biographical stories, philosophy on life, and observations about contemporary (1980s) society combined with how L'Amour educated himself by reading multitudes of books. Many of the book titles are included, and he even supplies a appendix listing the books he read by year for the 1930s. The best portions of the book dealt with his biographical stories. Unfortunately, he died before writing a true autobiography.

L'Amour was the best selling author who specialized in writing westerns, but who also wrote on other topics, including a historical novel on the middles ages (The Walking Drum) and a novel about a captured American pilot escaping from a Siberian prison during the cold war (The Last of the Breed). I still enjoy reading his novels. ( )
  NLytle | Apr 21, 2016 |
Never stop learning. And real education is often not found in a classroom. This is the story of man that sold over a million books he wrote. And no college degree. He traveled the world and had great adventures. He reminds me of the uncles in the movie "Second Hand lions" only his stories are true. And this is his stories in his own words. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
Spotty. Enjoyed the places he wrote about his developing love for books and how they became his best friends on his lifelong travels. Learned that there is actually a significant difference between a hobo and a tramp. Who knew?

The places where he editorialized about various subjects took much away from the reading experience. ( )
  PRusso | Feb 21, 2015 |
Several years ago I helped a dear old friend (he died a day after his 102nd birthday in 2009) edit his memoirs. He was not new to writing. In his younger years he had produced an interesting series of essays about his love for the farm he had purchased and the horses he rode called River Hill Soliloquy. It was published by the University of Illinois Press. After his death I had it reissued as an ebook. The book had a local following. The book I helped to edit years later called Montana Montage was a collection of stories from his very early days as a trail hand in Montana. It had considerable historical interest.

The last item that we worked on, however, Diary of a Journeyman, despite my best efforts became a litany, a virtual list, of the many friends he had had during his years as the editorial director for a large printing and publishing firm in Mt. Morris, Illinois that produced fraternal organization magazines. He was afraid of leaving anyone out regardless of their importance. Clarence, like L'Amour was self-educated and never had much formal education. He went on to become a wealthy benefactor of the local community college and its library of which I was the director. I helped him self-publish Diary of a Journeyman and Montana Montage, but by that time, he had outlived most of the people in Diary so the very limited initial market had dwindled even more.

So it is with L'Amour's book. Far from the action-packed westerns that built a large following (I'm but a lukewarm fan as I find much of his writing pedestrian), this book borders on being merely a catalog of the books he has read over the years with assorted comments. The writing, in its short cadences with abrupt transitions reminded me so much of Clarence's final product it was eerie, the only difference being that the subjects were books rather than persons. It's very superficial and of only limited interest. I fear I must admit to skimming it quite quickly.

That Daniel J. Boostin, one of my favorite cultural historians -- his trilogy The Americans, which I read in the late seventies, is enthralling history and brilliantly written -- speaks more to his friendship with L'Amour than the book's content. ( )
  ecw0647 | Feb 16, 2015 |
I've only read a few books by Louis L'Amour, but Education of a Wandering Man is amazing. You do not have to he a fan of L'Amour to enjoy and benefit from this book. He was a very interesting and truely self-made and self-educated man. For me, a very inspirational book. ( )
  MathMaverick | Dec 20, 2014 |

Louis L'Amourprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boorstin, Daniel J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alberto and Gioia Vitale
It was May 14. In a few days my class back in Jamestown, North Dakota would be graduating from high school, and I was in Singapore.

From his decision to leave school at fifteen to roam the world, to his recollections of life as a hobo on the Southern Pacific Railroad, as a cattle skinner in Texas, as a merchant seaman in Singapore and the West Indies, and as an itinerant bare-knuckled prizefighter across small-town America, here is Louis L'Amour's memoir of his lifelong love affair with learning--from books, from yondering, and from some remarkable men and women--that shaped him as a storyteller and as a man. Like classic L'Amour fiction, Education of a Wandering Man mixes authentic frontier drama--such as the author's desperate efforts to survive a sudden two-day trek across the blazing Mojave desert--with true-life characters like Shanghai waterfront toughs, desert prospectors, and cowboys whom Louis L'Amour met while traveling the globe. At last, in his own words, this is a story of a one-of-a-kind life lived to the fullest . . . a life that inspired the books that will forever enable us to relive our glorious frontier heritage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:33 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible