Mystery Writers of America Presents…

Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance (2012)

by Lee Child (Editor)

Other authors: Alafair Burke (Contributor), Michael Connelly (Contributor), Mike Cooper (Contributor), James Darrell (Contributor), Brendan DuBois (Contributor)17 more, Jim Fusilli (Contributor), Michael Gagnon (Contributor), Michelle Gagnon (Contributor), Darrell James (Contributor), Janice Law (Contributor), C.E. Lawrence (Contributor), Dennis Lehane (Contributor), Steve Liskow (Contributor), Rick McMahan (Contributor), Adam Meyer (Contributor), Dreda Say Mitchell (Contributor), Michael Niemann (Contributor), Twist Phelan (Contributor), Zoë Sharp (Contributor), Karin Slaughter (Contributor), Orest Stelmach (Contributor), Anne Swardson (Contributor)

Series: Mystery Writers of America Presents (2012), Mystery Writers of America Anthology (2012)

Not a fan of short story collections. The only advantage is that a reader can commence and finish reading 'a story' in a few minutes. Not very satisfying, though. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Exploring the theme of vengeance, this anthology is a very readable collection offering variety in character, setting and interpretation of the theme. While I read it easily in one setting, the format also allows the reader to dip in and out on a casual basis, most of the stories are less than ten pages in length so they are ideal to provide entertainment during a short commute or lunch break.

In his introduction editor Lee Child, who also contributes an original story, explains how he chose ten best selling authors including Karin Slaughter, Dennis Lehane, Alafair Burke and Michael Connelly, to complement the ten winning submissions of the Mystery Writers of America competition.

Of the 21 stories in Vengeance none really stood out for me but overall it is a solidly entertaining collection.
Unusually men of the cloth are a common protagonist in this collection, with In Persona Christi by Orest Stelmach, C.E. Lawrence’s Silent Justice and Zoe Sharp’s Lost and Found taking matters of justice into their own hands.
I enjoyed the story of Rukshana’s revenge on her boss in The Hotline by Dreda Say Mitchell and cheered for Beth in The Final Ballot by Brendan DuBois.
Blood and Sunshine by Adam Meyer gave me chills as did the Unremarkable Heart by Karin Slaughter.
Michel Connelly’s Harry Bosch makes an appearance in A Fine Mist of Blood, catching a vigilante lawyer who had escaped detection for almost a decade.

Though it is quite a bleak expose of human nature, fans of crime, mystery and suspense should enjoy Vengeance, as I did, for its concise storytelling and murderous twists. ( )
  shelleyraec | Jan 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an Early Reviewer copy.

One sometimes wonders what mystery authors dream of at night after they’ve put their pencils down, or powered off their laptops. Perhaps there are visions of puppies frolicking in backyards chasing multi-colored butterflies, their literary protagonist donning a cape and saving the city in Batman-like fashion, or possibly they lie awake counting sheep hoping for sleep to come? Somewhere in the darkest throes of night their subconscious asks that little question what if.

What if the protagonist is pushed too far and retaliates? A common theme, vengeance, but what if – you could get away with it? This is the theme that is explored in twenty short stories and presented by Mystery Writers of America.

Some very common names including Lee Child, Zoe Sharp, Karin Slaughter, Alafair Burke, Dennis Lehane, and Michael Connelly, along with some lesser publicized authors that are just as talented.

I don’t normally seek out short story anthologies, as I prefer submersing myself into something longer and usually more satisfying, but I have to admit, most of these packed a good wallop. Based on the premise of the theme you see the ending coming, but find yourself caught in the rush of rapids that pulls you along thanks to some great storytellers. I don’t mind telling you I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after reading Zoe Sharp’s Lost and Found, brilliant!

If you’re looking for highly satisfying, compact storytelling this is a terrific anthology. ( )
  souleswanderer | Oct 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book of short stories about revenge and vengeance was a little disappointing to me. I read this to find some new authors that I hadn't read before and to be honest I have come away not finding what I was looking for. A few good stories but some real disappointing ones also. ( )
  corgiiman | Sep 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I only requested this book because of Lee Child's name, so I was a little disappointed with some of the stories that made it into the book. Like other reviewers remarked there is only so much sadness one can take. Some of the stories I really enjoyed we're by authors' Karin Slaughter, Anne Swardson, and Michael Connelly. A few of the stories were very boring and I did not bother to finish. ( )
  KellyReeder | Aug 12, 2012 |

Stelmach, OrestContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swardson, AnneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cummings, JeffReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When a different kind of justice is needed---swift, effective, and personal---a new type of avenger must take action. VENGEANCE features new stories by bestselling crime writers including Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, and Karin Slaughter, as well as some of today's brightest rising talents.

The heroes in these stories include a cop who's seen too much, a woman who has been pushed too far, or just an ordinary person doing what the law will not. Some call them vigilantes, others claim they are just another brand of criminal.

Edited and with an introduction by Lee Child, these stories reveal the shocking consequences when men and women take the law into their own hands.

Full list of contributors:

Karin Slaughter

Orest Stelmach

Anne Swardson

Janice Law Trecker

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

Features new stories in which characters take the law into their own hands in search of vengeance, with contributions by Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, and Karin Slaughter as well as up-and-coming new writers in the field.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lee Child's book Vengeance was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,896,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible